Holiday Mode

Is it too early for me to be in Holiday Mode?

Well, if it is, too bad... 'cause I am!

I don't know what happened, but it is as if on November 1 someone flipped a switch in my mind and I am now thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years... and have that overwhelming mindset of relaxation that comes every year when we turn on the Christmas lights for the first time. Yesterday I was telling LaVonne about that delightful moment when you put up all the Christmas decorations and then turn off all the other lights in the house and sit on the couch looking up at the tree, the lights, the wreaths, the bows, the garlands... even as I was describing it a smile forced itself across my face.

I love the holidays.

I am making plans for a very small and quiet Thanksgiving this year. Nearly every year since we've been married we have hosted a Thanksgiving at our house. I love to feed people and Thanksgiving is the 'mother-ship' of all feeding holidays. This year, though, I think I need to have a quieter plan which includes just family and only one table, one chicken (turkey substitute) ... and no introductions or 'get to know you games'... I like all those activities and Kevin is very good at being the host, but this year I need a break.

Ah, a break. A perfect holiday event.

My mom arrives a week from today. In fact, one week from right now we will be putting away all the 'goodies' she will bring and breaking out the 1,000-piece puzzle that I'm going to buy this week. I also need to find a card table on which to do this puzzle. I've asked Mom to bring some 'Thanksgiving Candy'... you know, orange/white/brown M&Ms, Resees PB Cups with leaves on the wrappers, etc. We can munch on those while we do our puzzle, watch movies, and have a nice beginning to the winter holiday season. (ooo... reminds me... we better get our DVD player fixed...)

Holiday mode. Truly enjoyable. I think I'll go have some tea right now and sit on the couch contemplating where we'll put the tree this year in our newly re-arranged living room.

Let me encourage you to take some time today to do the same.

~lk

Comments

Kim G. said…
"Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since we've no place to go, let it . . ." WAIT - NOT READY, NOT READY!

Just put the Halloween stuff away. Can I please have a week before I need to start shopping for the turkey dinner I was GUILTED into hosting by my family this year - AGAIN!?
Matt Deane said…
Too bad you don't have four inches of snow on the ground like we do. Then you'd really be in the Christmas spirit! Mom is bringing presents from us, but you can't open them until Christmas...yea right...like that will happen!
well Andy started listening to Christmas music Nov 1 and i think Ben and Amber have been watching all of our Christmas movies, so someone in our family agrees with you, and of course every retail and wholesale place here is all decked out. I keep thinking,,,,
oh no, what am i going do for Christmas. I think i better get busy.
Becki
Benjamin said…
I am going to miss Thanksgiving in India. Last year was honestly the best Thanksgiving ever. I will miss it. And miss the fellowship of last year.

And the tree. And turning off all the lights...or the power turning off!

Miss you guys.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day