Tick Tock

Today was one of those days where I fought against time trying to get everything done. Although I work a lot at night, I absolutely do not classify myself as a 'night owl' or a late night person. In fact, if I had my way, I would be in bed every night by 9.00p. I love to sleep. I love my bed. I love my air conditioner and the heaviness of my blankets in an air conditioned room.

However, most days sleep has to wait. Some days (like today) it has to wait a little longer than usual. There was a massive amount of housework to be done. There was a devotional to prepare. There were a couple of reports/proposals to write. There were emails. There are always emails.

So, tonight, as in many nights in the past, I fought past the tiredness... past the seconds ticking away on the plastic, gold-rimmed clock on my otherwise blank living room wall... past the yearning for the comfort of my bed which seemed to be calling out to me in a boistrous voice. Working my way through each task, I tried to make the most of the time, realizing that each delay meant fewer hours of precious, sweet, delightful sleep that I would be able to enjoy.

As I've said before, it is in moments like this that I realize I am an adult. There is no one else to wash the dishes. There is no one else to put everything in its place. There is no one else to clean up the doggie vomit. I wish there was, but there is not.

And so I press on... knowing that the faster I work, the sooner I can sleep. Every week seems to have one of these dreadful days. In reality, the day itself isn't all that dreadful... I never mind the housework. I just wish I could do it earlier in the day (or that the kids wouldn't 'undo' what I've done earlier in the day!) I also wonder what life would be like if I took the extra hours and just continued working rather than sleeping - pulling an all-nighter like the exam-week nights on the hills of Ithaca, with only Diet Pepsi and the sheer will to stay awake helping me survive. Something tells me that with two children, a career, a demanding schedule, a house always in need of care, and living in a two-thirds world country, I probably should not succumb to the urge to go on a sleep fast.

5 hours and counting 'til sunrise. I better get to sleep.

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day