Ctrl-Alt-Delete

Comfortably and peacefully sitting at the dining table in my mom's house, I am enjoying the warmth that my hooded sweatshirt provides combined with the general sense of well-being that the delightfully hot cup of coffee has given to the newly frozen state of my body.

We arrived in Minneapolis yesterday -- and boy is it cold!

I am glowing with tons of parental pride as I reflect on the two long haul flights that we endured over the last less-than-24 hours.  Clark and Claire were perfectly well-behaved on both flights... much to my shock and amazement.  Yes, they are used to traveling and generally do extremely well... but they also usually have at least one meltdown or endure numerous threats of punishment throughout the two nine-hour flights.  This time not so much, however.  Claire slept the entire first flight while Clark played quietly in his seat; Clark slept the entire second flight while Claire watched Disney's Ratatouille movie over and over again.  Wow.  Praise the Lord.  I am so thrilled with them.

After breezing quickly through the immigration, luggage and customs process, I dashed immediately to Starbucks for my 'triple-grande-nonfat-nowhip-single-pump-mocha'.  Mmmm it was incredible, and even more special to drink in the Starbucks Christmas design cup.  A great welcome to the US of A.

We made it to Target for grocery shopping (for our late Thanksgiving dinner with family today), birthday shopping (for niece Anna's early birthday celebration today), and the buying of Clark and Claire's first-ever sleds. 

Yes, that's right, sleds.   There is a ton of snow here in Minneapolis and the children are sooooooo excited about it.  Even now, at 6.30am, they are in the living room putting their borrowed winter coats, hats and gloves on preparing (well in advance) to go play in the snow later on today.  Watching their faces as they see snow for the first time has been amazing.  Observing them as they bend down slowly to gingerly touch the snow and then freely throw it in the air over their heads with a sense of wonderment is absolutely marvelous. 

Today it's off to the Mall of America -- in my mind in hot competition with Disney World for the title of 'Happiest Place on Earth'.  It'll be decorated for Christmas and jam-packed with Christmas shoppers.  I can't wait.  Claire and cousin Anna are looking forward to visiting the Dora the Explorer store... and I'm sure Grandma Jan will spoil both of them frivolously once we step inside that new place.  I hope we have enough luggage space. 

We are thankful to be 'home' (we will make a greater debate of the use of that term later); and are in wild anticipation of the rest, refreshment and sense of 're-set' that we should experience over the next five weeks.

I will keep you updated.

~lk

Comments

The SC Elwarts said…
Random memory: Yesterday, Lauren was riding her tricycle and using her feet to turn around in the driveway. It made me remember the time you taught me how to turn around on a bike without putting my feet to the ground. We were riding out in the street in front of yours & Grandma's house. I felt so cool riding with my older cousin. So, thanks for teaching me that valuable lesson. :)

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day