We were on a break!

Brett Favre.

Yes, I know.  So many thoughts come to mind when I say that name. 

Is he retired?  Is he not retired?  How much money must he be making!?

I have a suggestion for our professional athlete friends out there... of which there are many.

Please.  Unless you are 65 years old, do not say you are 'retiring' from sport.  You look really silly when you make a comeback after claiming up and down, over and over, with such great certainty that you are retiring and will never return to the professional athletic field.  Yes, I suppose it is a good marketing scheme to make a comeback.  But your integrity takes a hit and your status as an 'A-List' athlete just diminishes.

Instead, let me suggest that when you are young enough to entertain the remotest possibility of staging a comeback... instead of retiring, please just take a *sabbatical*.   

I absolutely realize that everyone in every type of career needs a break.  Perhaps the break is medically-motivated.  Perhaps an emotional recovery is needed.  Perhaps the passion for the job has fled the scene momentarily.  Change is good.  Mixing it up brings joy and refreshment to everyone.  However, this is not retirement.  This is a sabbatical. 

Take a break.  Get yourself together.  Re-evaluate your priorities.  Spend time with your family.  But don't retire.  Leave your options wide open.  I would even volunteer to start a service that caters to athletes on sabbatical.  There would be spa treatments.  There would be libraries.  There would be sun and sand.  There would be long counseling sessions over coffee.

You can always retire later.  However, for now, just go on sabbatical.  I'm sure you will grow to appreciate the freedom and rejuvenation it brings.  

And if you do retire?  Please don't come back.  (How's that for the love?  Ha ha ha...)

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day