4.30p-5.30p
I have decided that my favorite time of the day is between 4.30p-5.30p. Why? Well, let me tell you.
Those of you who read this blog know that I love to cook.
Those of you who read this blog know that I love the quietness.
A heaping portion of both of those delights is what I get during this one hour every day.
Between 4.30p-5.30p, Claire is finishing her afternoon nap. We put her down around 3pm and usually have to wake her up for dinner. She is one tired girl. Not surprising, seeing the great vigor with which she embraces and participates in life. Clark is not yet home from school. Kevin has ventured out to the bus stop to collect him.
Between 4.30p-5.30p, I have worked long enough in the afternoon, my meetings are finished for the day, I'm incredibly hungry despite having an afternoon snack at 4.00p... and it's time to hit the kitchen.
Between 4.30p-5.30p, any frozen meats will be thawed, bread dough will be sufficiently risen, and the veggies in my fridge are calling out to be chopped, diced, julienned, or otherwise prepared for their ultimate death in my frying pan. My kitchen is ready for me, and I am ready for it.
Between 4.30p-5.30p, I stand with knives and other kitchen gadgets in hand, leaning over the counter, looking out the window at the dormant airport, enjoying following recipes or creating new masterpieces for family dinnertime. I imagine that I'm the head chef at a fantastically family-friendly yet gourmet restaurant... or perhaps a sous-chef who has learned the careful art of cutting vegetables 'just so'. I imagine that I have my own cooking show, that I have a studio audience, that there are people who will buy my cookbook and joyfully eat the food I will prepare.
Between 4.30p-5.30p, I anticipate the fun family time we'll have around the dinner table, or out on the picnic table, or even on laps in front of the TV as we eat together, review the day's activities and try to relax before bedtime and a late evening full of work.
It is my favorite time of the day. One hour of 'Leah Time'. One hour of peace. One hour to recharge my batteries. One hour to do things I truly love to do.
4.30p-5.30p. Come quickly again soon.
~lk
Comments