75
It is with great joy that I turn the calendar to November 1.
For some reason, the beginning of November signals the beginning of the holiday season for me. Yes, I realize that Christmas decorations have been hanging in American stores since Labor Day, but for me, the true holiday season is from November 1-January 15. My head is filled with calm and peace and relaxation during these 2 1/2 months. There is a switch that flips in my head automatically indicating that the upcoming celebrations of family, thankfulness and ultimate salvation through the birth of our Savior will make things alright. Despite the great difficulties going on everywhere and for everyone, the holidays remind me of our ultimate victory and God's ultimate purpose for our lives.
I have lots going on in the next 2 1/2 months. There is work to be done, children's projects and schooling and programs, visitors to be hosted, trips planned, visits with Mom and other friends, cookies to bake, decorations to put up, mini-marshmallows to float in hot chocolate... But in it all, my brain is able to relax on the miraculous drug called the Holiday Spirit.
I plan to savor every moment of each one of the next 75 days. Delighting in the cool winter weather temperatures. Struggling with joy in baking beautiful confections. Intentionally tasting a few bites here and there of holiday treats. Sipping hot coffee in the early morning while enjoying a breath of fresh air from God's word and its corresponding application to my life.
I love the holidays. I've been waiting all year. Now it's time to enjoy. Ahhh. Sweet relief.
~lk
Comments