Half Empty or Half Full?

I am definitely a 'glass half full' person.

I enjoy seeing the good in people -- trying to see their full potential -- trying to imagine what they could be like if they really applied themself and made things happen. Maybe I feel this way because I want others to see the good in me -- see my potential -- overlook my failings because they somehow know that surely I will learn from my mistakes and make something better of myself in the future.

It is for this reason that I always feel so bad for people when they make a 'Good Intent; Poor Execution' error....

Think about it... someone is searching their heart for the right answer to one of life's many problems. They weigh their options, they seek counsel, they think of what others they admire might do in a certain situation. And then they act. They act with the noblest and purest and best of intentions. However, despite their honorable motives, their plan goes terribly wrong and it is clear that, yes, in the infamous words of Raiders of the Lost Ark... they 'have chosen... poorly."

Good Intent; Poor Execution.

Their plan didn't work. In fact, their plan may have caused more harm than good. At discovering their error, they must feel awful. I know I do... "Oh, but I meant for this to turn out so much better!" If only the whole world could see our true intentions.

Of course, the flipside is... if the whole world could see our true intentions, they may soon discover that our intentions are not always honorable; not always pure; not always in the best interest of others. But that is another blog topic....

Good Intent; Poor Execution. Let's give others credit for trying, credit for thinking of others... even though the way in which they went about it completely crashed and burned. Let's see the best in others and show them the best in ourselves.

After all, the glass really *is* half full.

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections