Making a List... Checking it Twice

The longer I live in India, the more I'm realizing that the smallest things really bring me so much joy.

Today, in my daily pilgrimage to the gym, I filled poor Libby's ear with an hour of conversation about refrigerators, cleaning out closets, and my "fruit drawer". The kind soul that she is, she actually listened and interacted in that incredibly small-simple-minded dialogue.

But I just can't help it! Small, insignificant things in life seem to fill my heart with an overwhelming sense of joy and gratitude.

For example: Last night I went on and on in my blog about my comfortable bed. Tonight I was thrilled to see a few raindrops fall from the sky. The jalapeno peppers that are in my fridge bring a smile to my face and cause my mouth to water as I sit here typing. The fact that I gave away one salwar kameez suit and one sleeveless western blouse today makes me want to jump up and down.

Small joys for a small person, I suppose. That is fine with me. Small on this earth, but of course eternally significant!

A few minutes ago a friend in South Africa skyped me to ask if there was anything 'special' he and his wife could bring us when they come to India on Friday. What was 'special' to me?

I present you with my 'list'... the list of things that we give to anyone who asks "What can I bring for you?" or "What can I send to you?" This is the list that I keep in my small green notebook which resides in my purse. Whenever I think of something to add to the list, I add it and then wait for the next person to very generously ask us for suggestions.

1. Orbit Gum - pink or orange
2. Women's 'Soleil' Bic Razors
3. Jif creamy peanut butter
4. Nestle tollhouse chocolate chips
5. Zip lock bags - in all sizes big and small
6. Pop-Tarts - the 'frosted' kind, any flavor
7. Real Simple Magazine
8. Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine
9. Wired Magazine
10. Goldfish Crackers - pretzel or cheese
11. Manila file folders
12. Baby wipes -- huggies brand, 40 count pack
13. Toddler wipes -- for kids in potty training
14. Garbage bags - kitchen size, white, "Ruffies" brand
15. Kitchen towels

15 Items... that bring a tremendous amount of joy to the small people who reside in our home. Joy that is squished into our busy, full, stressful days. Joy that keeps us going when we have tough times. Joy we want to share with others and build into the lives of our children.

Thank you, God, for the little things.

~lk

Comments

Maggie said…
What about Slim Jims - my little slim jims!!!

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections