Trial Run

In preparation for my trip to Germany this week, I have to work on the communications seminar I have to give.

The title?

"Writing... So People Will Read It!"

I hope that I know enough about this topic! Well, anyway, I said I would do this, so it's time to prepare. I thought I would test out my outline here first... Thanks for being my guinea pigs! :) Here you go!

TOP TEN WAYS TO WRITE SO PEOPLE WILL READ

1. Remember that writing is not just journalism... it's also (mostly!?!) marketing.

2. Know your target audience - who will others follow? market to them (i.e., who are your "8th grade boys"?)

3. Be accurate -- not only in facts, but also in grammar, style, etc. - this builds trust, builds a positive reputation

4. Be regular / consistent -- people love to know what to expect; don't change your format all the time -- some change is good, but not all the time; people want to know when your piece is coming... they'll watch for it... expect it (i.e., 'You must be dead!")

5. Be relevant -- know today's culture - what's hot, trendy, fads, etc. (i.e., How to Use 'Desperate Housewives' in Church); know what media to use -- online vs paper

6. Be balanced in length - write enough to cover the topic, but not so much that you lose the normal attention span

7. Be enticing -- force people to turn the page (i.e., James Patterson)

8. Be personal / be real -- honesty and a genuine spirit shine through - no cheese, no sugar

9. Be the authority -- write in such a way that people come to you for information on your specialty topic; people should believe every word you write -- even more than they believe what others write on the same topic (i.e., People Magazine; O vs G)

10. Be connected -- keep the overall strategy in mind (i.e., T L & C... connect your writing and your work to the larger movement)

*****
Well, there you have it. Needs some work, some expanding, some working out of the kinks... but I think it's at least a good start with some relevant examples... Meant to be based in reality, not in theory.

Comments and Suggestions VERY welcome!

~lk

Comments

The SC Elwarts said…
I really like the "no cheese, no sugar" comment. Your outline looks good to me. :) Do well. We'll be praying for you.
Kim G. said…
Leah -
Love this! Wish I could be sitting in the audience for this one! I'm reading "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott right now and it's got some great stuff on writing. Might be worth a read for you in your work.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day