Don't Despair
I have this little book in which I record all the thoughts, outlines, ideas, etc., for all the books I'm going to write one day. Today you get a very brief glimpse into one of those topics.
One of the reasons I am thrilled to be a believer is that I value the joy that God gives each one of us. This joy is evident even in difficult circumstances when we don't look or feel at all happy. Joy is that deep down reassurance that God is in control. We do not have to become overcome by our troubles. We do not have to let depression or sadness rule over us.
I am thankful for this gift of joy from God because I believe it has saved me from ever slipping into true despair. 'Despair', as I term it, would be that all consuming focus on the negative, the sad, the absence of hope, the absence of joy. This affects not only self, but also others around you.
Some day I would love to write a book or devotional on this topic, but for now, here are the chapter titles. Admittedly a little 'directive'... but sometimes that is what is needed to draw out of this trap of despair. Meant to be more 'practical' than simply, 'pray about it...." which, although true and very necessary, seems all too hollow sometimes.
Don't Despair... Have Joy
Don't Despair... Be Thankful
Don't Despair... Serve Others
Don't Despair... See God's Good
Don't Despair... Move On
Don't Despair... Embrace the Truth
After I wrote at least these broad concepts out in my 'little book', I know I was personally encouraged. Maybe even this small look into the topic of joy and despair will encourage you today, too.
~lk
One of the reasons I am thrilled to be a believer is that I value the joy that God gives each one of us. This joy is evident even in difficult circumstances when we don't look or feel at all happy. Joy is that deep down reassurance that God is in control. We do not have to become overcome by our troubles. We do not have to let depression or sadness rule over us.
I am thankful for this gift of joy from God because I believe it has saved me from ever slipping into true despair. 'Despair', as I term it, would be that all consuming focus on the negative, the sad, the absence of hope, the absence of joy. This affects not only self, but also others around you.
Some day I would love to write a book or devotional on this topic, but for now, here are the chapter titles. Admittedly a little 'directive'... but sometimes that is what is needed to draw out of this trap of despair. Meant to be more 'practical' than simply, 'pray about it...." which, although true and very necessary, seems all too hollow sometimes.
Don't Despair... Have Joy
Don't Despair... Be Thankful
Don't Despair... Serve Others
Don't Despair... See God's Good
Don't Despair... Move On
Don't Despair... Embrace the Truth
After I wrote at least these broad concepts out in my 'little book', I know I was personally encouraged. Maybe even this small look into the topic of joy and despair will encourage you today, too.
~lk
Comments