Old Woman

I was reminded again yesterday of just how old I have become.

I was meeting with a group of three young, American 20-somethings who had just arrived here in South Asia... orienting them to this culture that I have grown to love.

As I was explaining some part of our work to them, I made reference to American Hollywood actor Rob Lowe. Someone I thought could help explain the point I was making and bridge the culture gap.

However... I was wrong.

"Who's Rob Lowe?" All three of them asked in unison. Their faces looked back at me as if I had just spoken in some foreign language.

Although popular in the 1980s and 1990s... and briefily in the early 2000s, apparently Rob Lowe is now an American culture icon from the 'past' that only OLD PEOPLE are supposed to know about.

Apparently, I am one of those old people. Good grief.

I then made a vague connection between Rob Lowe and Brad Pitt. "You do know who Brad Pitt is, don't you?" They nodded in approval. Oh goodie.

Let's see, it's nearly 4:30p... time for dinner so I can get to bed by 7pm. Oh, and better get my Geritol prescription refilled.

~lk

Comments

Maggie said…
Cannot believe that they hadn't heard of Rob Lowe! So, shocking! If you're an old woman - what does that make me??

Ah well Queen Mother - that's just life I guess!!
Matt Deane said…
I think Geritol is over the counter now. One less trip to the pharmacist. That will help you to be able to eat dinner by 4:00pm!
Amber Himes said…
Madam,
The cane you ordered should arrive in 6-8 weeks.

;-)
The SC Elwarts said…
It's ok, Leah. I'm one of those 20somethings, and I know Rob Lowe. Albeit, I only know him from Numb3rs. I've heard of him before that, just not sure what he's in.
Cheryl said…
Well, I certainly remember Rob Lowe! What really gets me is when I mention watching the moon landing on black and white TV... and the person sitting across from me mentions they weren't even born yet! Now THATS old! Just remember me next time you feel old~

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections