Falling
I cracked up the other day when I said the following to Claire:
"Oh, I'm sorry, did you fall on your face again?"
Poor Claire. She has the propensity to fall down directly on her face. Somehow she falls so quickly that most times she cannot get her hands out in front to catch herself in time. She has three times already bitten through her bottom lip to put teeth marks on the outside of her chin. Poor little girl.
Of course, after I scooped her up and comforted her from her latest tumble, I realized that we actually all fall on our face ... quite often actually... and that Claire should probably get used to hearing that all-too-familiar phrase, "Did you fall on your face again?"
I've found in complete truth that every time I fall on my face (i.e., make a mistake; say something silly; embarrass myself; make a wrong choice, etc.) I end up being grateful later. Believe me, I fall on my face more than the average person (Oprah a-ha! moment! That's where Claire gets it! Duh!) Maybe that is actually my spiritual gifting....
Yes, it stings for a while, much like Claire's bleeding lip whenever she smashes her face into the floor, table, chair, etc... But after the healing begins, I actually do begin to learn something. Learn about myself; learn about others; learn about God; learn how to help others in the future.
That, of course, is my favorite part. Helping others in the future. I always wonder how my mentors/ older friends get all their great stories. They didn't just make them up. They had to actually experience life in order to learn. They had to personally fall on their face from time to time to figure out answers to some of life's great questions. They are not just inherently wise. They've learned by experience. They've felt the sting. They've allowed the healing to take place.
Will Claire learn to catch herself when she falls? Yes, I sure hope so!
Will I use the times that I fall flat on my face to allow God to teach me the hard lessons of life?
I sure hope so.
~lk
"Oh, I'm sorry, did you fall on your face again?"
Poor Claire. She has the propensity to fall down directly on her face. Somehow she falls so quickly that most times she cannot get her hands out in front to catch herself in time. She has three times already bitten through her bottom lip to put teeth marks on the outside of her chin. Poor little girl.
Of course, after I scooped her up and comforted her from her latest tumble, I realized that we actually all fall on our face ... quite often actually... and that Claire should probably get used to hearing that all-too-familiar phrase, "Did you fall on your face again?"
I've found in complete truth that every time I fall on my face (i.e., make a mistake; say something silly; embarrass myself; make a wrong choice, etc.) I end up being grateful later. Believe me, I fall on my face more than the average person (Oprah a-ha! moment! That's where Claire gets it! Duh!) Maybe that is actually my spiritual gifting....
Yes, it stings for a while, much like Claire's bleeding lip whenever she smashes her face into the floor, table, chair, etc... But after the healing begins, I actually do begin to learn something. Learn about myself; learn about others; learn about God; learn how to help others in the future.
That, of course, is my favorite part. Helping others in the future. I always wonder how my mentors/ older friends get all their great stories. They didn't just make them up. They had to actually experience life in order to learn. They had to personally fall on their face from time to time to figure out answers to some of life's great questions. They are not just inherently wise. They've learned by experience. They've felt the sting. They've allowed the healing to take place.
Will Claire learn to catch herself when she falls? Yes, I sure hope so!
Will I use the times that I fall flat on my face to allow God to teach me the hard lessons of life?
I sure hope so.
~lk
Comments