Almost Gone

Yes, that's right, the Thanksgiving leftovers are nearly finished.

We had a wonderful, wonderful Thanksgiving weekend here this year. My mom was here for the 'big day'... I will post some pictures of our preparations, as well as the final products. I am always amazed at the things we can make from scratch every year. You'd think I would have learned by now what is possible!

I am so thankful for:
  • my God and His everlasting and unconditional love for me
  • my family
  • my friends (however few they might be)
  • our 'investors' who are so faithful and loving and responsive
  • my house (including my wonderful bed and my delightfully large fridge)
  • this country in which I live and its tremendous culture
  • my job (even on the difficult days)
  • my gym membership (oh... and ok, my food diary... which, incidentally has gotten lost in all the thanksgiving merriment... back on track tomorrow!!)
  • Vac's 'Chocolate Total' cake which I get to eat in 10 days
And speaking of being thankful, I am thankful for Thanksgiving food and the fact that it naturally produces tons of leftovers! lWe've been eating leftovers for three days now... I never tire of Thanksgiving leftovers, actually. It just extends the holiday. I love extending holidays... extending birthdays... extending celebrations of any kind, actually. We usually leave our Christmas tree up 'til February. And I am a full-fledged supporter of celebrating the 'birthday month' rather than just one day. Probably why I enjoy the whole month of February... my birthday month. It just makes life a whole lot brighter.

In the wake of the holiday festivities, I've been feeling kinda low. A few 'attacks' here and there have not made things easier... and there's always the let-down after the visit of any of our loved ones. Been thinking about how we're going to afford Christmas presents this year for our extended family... have to be pretty creative and yet at the same time generous and fair. I always say I am great at raising money and at spending money... but definitely not at managing money. So Christmas is sometimes difficult because I want to buy people at least 5 gifts each -- all really creative, unique and well-appreciated... But our budget does not generally allow that. So sad. I have to remember, however, that truly, truly, truly, it is the thought that counts. The mere thought that I love someone enough to take time from everything else to choose, buy and send them a gift means a lot. It doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I know these things... but that doesn't make it easier.

Once again I said all month long that I was going to set up the Christmas decorations on the day after Thanksgiving. Did I?? Well, no, of course not. Apparently this is a new holiday 'tradition'.

And finally, I'm still in holiday 'take it easy' mode... but there is a lot to do around the office, especially with the resignation of one of our major executives and the subsequent restructure that must take place in the next 6-8 weeks as a result. There are proposals and reports to be written. There are visits to be planned. All while in 'take-it-easy-and-work-only-when-the-kids-are-sleeping' mode. Not easy. Again, great creativity and/or stamina required!

All for now - Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and that you also took some time to reflect upon those things for which you are thankful this year.

~lk

Comments

Cheryl said…
Leah,

I'm so glad you had a wonderful visit with your Mom. What a great celebration! And I'm with you on the leftovers! Woohoo! I never grow weary of a slice of pecan pie for breakfast! (I know--so healthy!)

I struggle with the gifts vs. budget thing as well.I'll be "thinking" of you during this holiday season. I'll ask for His peace and leading--and joy!

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day