Knowing the Difference

I was thinking today about how I really know what it means and how it feels to be loved unconditionally by God.

How do I know? Probably because I know what it means and how it feels to be disliked... (I was going to say 'hated' but that seems a little harsh).

You see, I am not one of those people (and you all know who I'm talking about) that everyone loves to love. They are nice, attractive, friendly, considerate, thoughtful, helpful, well-spoken, oftentimes wealthy, and usually right about nearly everything. These are the people who have lists written about them on other people's blogs... lists of their positive characteristics. Lists of how much others love them.

I am definitely not one of those people. I am difficult to love. I am not very nice. I am not very friendly. Considerate? Thoughtful? Helpful? Uh.. no. Well-spoken? Certainly not. Right about everything? Absolutely not. (Although if you ask me on most days, I will tell you that I'm 100% right all the time about everything and every issue! Ha! I think this is one of my problems...)

I know of at least four people in this world who strongly and vehemently dislike me. Their dislike for me is so powerful that try as they might to hide it, they just can't do it. Their words, their actions, their facial expressions tell me all I need to know. Good for them for being genuine! But it has really shown me how much hurt is out there in this world just waiting to be inflicted on unsuspecting people all around us. It has shown me just how much hurt I can inflict on others if I am not careful.

But what does this have to do with being loved?

Being loved is something that I do not want to take for granted. Being loved unconditionally by God is 'what I know for sure..." God knows our every need, our every emotion, our every moment of happiness or sorrow, and fills us with what He knows we need at that exact point in space and time. Being loved by God is really one of the only things we can truly count on in this life. Life, Death, Taxes and the Love of God. No one can escape. Although I hope no one would want to.

We must be prepared for disappointment in our relationships with other people. We cannot and must not rely upon our relationships to make us whole, to create our worth, to make us whole. Only God and His love for us can do that. It is not a cliche. It is a hard fact and reality. There is no other way.

As I was on the elliptical this morning, I was overwhelmed by this fact. Yes, right there, in the middle of Lattitudes Gym, with my iPod set to some Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman songs. I even had to close my eyes in thankfulness and worship of my King. It was there, in that simple every day moment that I was reminded of this truth: That even in my lowest of emotional lows, God is there. His Word is there. The songs He has inspired humankind to write in praise to Him are there. All of these things are there to remind us that God's love is indeed the perfect fit for us as we move forward in this life; as we mature into a person who is a more accurate reflection of His Son; as we learn to love others with that same unconditional love with which God, in His eternal greatness, loves us.

So today, friends, I claim to know the difference. I know the difference between love and hate. I know the difference between truth and lies. I know the difference between the eternal and the temporal.

I know God... and I know He loves me.

~lk

Comments

Maggie said…
Hmm, interesting subject matter. Gives me lots to think about!! Thanks
Cheryl said…
Thank you Leah. You were God's encouragement to me this morning as I begin my Tuesday. I'm so thankful for knowing that same unconditional love! I'm thankful that there is one certain "rock" in life where our footing can always be sure!

Blessings on you and yours!

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day