Rise and Shine

My mother-in-law has one of the most delightful sayings: "If God wanted us to know what 5:00 in the morning looks like, He would have made it later in the day!" Amen to that!! Oh how I so agree.

But there's a part of me that doesn't want to agree.

You see, I so desperately want to be a morning person.

But, I'm not.

So sad.

Every afternoon, every evening, I have such grand delusions (an ever-appropriate word) of waking early in the morning (for me that would be 6:00a) before the kids and my husband are up so that I can savor a delicious cup of coffee, enjoy a few peaceful moments in the morning hours, and start a few household chores, just in time to greet my children with a delightfully happy, smiling face when they clamor out of bed.

Does it ever happen? Are you kidding me? No way!

Yes, the picture I painted above is a little sugary-sweet. I admit it. However, the raw facts are that I genuinely want to be able to drag my sorry carcass out of bed by 6:00a to at least have those first few minutes of peace in the quiet of the morning. I think my day would go so much better if I were able to do that. However, I simply can NOT do it.

I can't. There's just no other way to see it. It's impossible.

The alarm goes off and one of several things happens: 1) I don't hear it; 2) I hear it, but am confused by it and it gets worked into my dream somehow; 3) I hear it, hit the snooze button and go back to sleep 'til 5 minutes later when it goes off again and I hit the snooze again... for the next hour!; or 4) the kids come in and wake me up 3 minutes before the alarm goes off and for some reason the 'loss' of those 3 precious minutes of sleep makes me so upset that it basically ruins the entire morning and sours my mood for the rest of the day.

This cannot be how mornings are supposed to be!

How do they do it? Those morning people, I mean. How do they joyfully jump out of bed at the first sound of their alarm and get right into the heart of the day?

Of course these are probably the same people who know how to eat small portions of food and be satisfied. (No food diary required for them!) They are the same people who have to clean their house only once a week and it magically stays clean for the 6 days in between... Good grief, my house barely stays clean for 6 minutes! And they are the same people who in Oprah-speak, "Pay themselves first" and have so much money left over at the end of the month/year that they can double their investments, buy a whole new wardrobe, and take a family vacation, all without even noticing.

I'm not saying that if I can get up a half hour earlier that my whole life will perfectly come together and be balanced, uncluttered and stable. But come on, it must do something good, offer some benefit.

Shall I do it? Shall I make a New Year's Resolution to become a morning person in 2007? Shall I reclaim the morning hours for myself and for the sanity of all things in my household?

Well, we'll see. I have 3 more days to decide.

Maybe I'll get up early tomorrow morning to think about it.

Well... maybe not. (snoooozzzzzzzzz)

~lk

Comments

Trisha said…
Go for it! Make that resolution. I have those same dreams. You can be my inspiration.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day