Book 3: The Innocent Man
Just finished John Grisham's latest book, "The Innocent Man".
This book made me CRAZY because I couldn't believe we were reading such an extensively detailed volume about a man who, although innocent of the charges for which he sat on Death Row, was far... very far... from innocent in the rest of every day life.
Grisham definitely did his research and seemed to record every single minute detail of this story of nearly-famous-baseball player Ron Williamson. I enjoyed the way Grisham inserted a variety of paranthetical paragraphs here and there that made the injustice of the entire story seem even more absurd.
However, if I had been the editor of this book, I would have 1) made it about 150 pages shorter; and 2) taken out several places where Grisham seems to repeat himself, nearly word for word.
At first the book was pretty hard to get in to for me... but nearing the end, I did find myself endeared to the 'hero' of the book (that would be the falsely accused Ron) and felt as if I really did get to know him and even care for him a little bit.
All that said, I look forward to Grisham's next fiction work. I wish he'd stay on his usual February release date... but of course I don't think that'll happen this year.
~lk
This book made me CRAZY because I couldn't believe we were reading such an extensively detailed volume about a man who, although innocent of the charges for which he sat on Death Row, was far... very far... from innocent in the rest of every day life.
Grisham definitely did his research and seemed to record every single minute detail of this story of nearly-famous-baseball player Ron Williamson. I enjoyed the way Grisham inserted a variety of paranthetical paragraphs here and there that made the injustice of the entire story seem even more absurd.
However, if I had been the editor of this book, I would have 1) made it about 150 pages shorter; and 2) taken out several places where Grisham seems to repeat himself, nearly word for word.
At first the book was pretty hard to get in to for me... but nearing the end, I did find myself endeared to the 'hero' of the book (that would be the falsely accused Ron) and felt as if I really did get to know him and even care for him a little bit.
All that said, I look forward to Grisham's next fiction work. I wish he'd stay on his usual February release date... but of course I don't think that'll happen this year.
~lk
Comments
Just read about the fire! How exciting and a bit scary. Hope all works out for quick repairs.