Down Under

I love tennis!

It's Australian Open time again and I've been having fun watching most of the matches. I do NOT get up early (5.30a) to catch all of them, but I've been able to watch some as I'm getting the kids ready for school in the mornings... then a little more while at the gym... a little more during lunch... and then the end of the evening session while playing with the kids before dinner.

Sania Mirza is of course out already. She lost in the 2nd round... a match I think she could've won, but oh well. Justine Henin-Hardenne is not playing. Amelie Mauresmo is already out. On the women's side I think I'm pulling for Kim Clijsters since it's her final year of playing before going off to start a family. Good for her.

On the men's side, I'm still a Roger Federer fan. It'd be nice to see Andy Roddick make it to the final, but in the end I still want Federer to win.

I was watching his match on Sunday and some of the commentary about his play completely cracked me up. So much so that I wrote it down and decided to share it with you! Was thinking that my brother was right that we should start our own brother/sister rival newspapers sports columns. We could start with tennis.

Anyway, when speaking of Roger Federer and his tennis expertise, here is what our local commentator had to say!

"Oh... well.... that's a magnificent pass."

"That's a glorious winner!"

"He is at his imperious best at the net."

"Oh...well... that's a magnificent pass." (yes, he said this numerous times!)

"The problem is, we've used all the words to describe him!"

"I think [his coach] is tired of applauding now."

What will the result be next Sunday? Federer? Nadal? Roddick? We shall see. In the meantime, I will enjoy this bit of distraction and entertainment, trying to savor it deeply enough to last until the French Open in May/June. So far away!

~lk (aka 'superfan')

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections