A Nice Surprise
I braved the scale at the gym today.
I've been dying to know how much weight I must've gained over the holidays. I tried my very best to maintain the 'food diary mentality' but it was really difficult. Really difficult. There were a few days when I went to sleep completely discouraged because of my indulgences. I did not want to see all my hard work on the eliptical and the denying myself of M&Ms go to waste (or waist! as the case may be...)
I had planned on waiting 2 weeks or so before weighing myself so I did not get discouraged. Surely, I rationalized, in 2 weeks I can work off whatever I've gained and at least not get too depressed seeing a high figure on that terrible, terrible weighing machine... But I couldn't take it any more. I had to find out.
And, to my GREAT delight, I discovered that between December 21 and January 5, I actually LOST 1.65 pounds. Holy cow, I couldn't believe it.
Wondering how this could've happened, I began thinking of ways I managed to keep things under control.... and this is what I came up with:
1. When I knew I was going to indulge in one particular meal, I did my best to eat less at other meals. For instance, I would have a 'normal' breakfast if I knew lunch was going to be huge.
2. I got sick on Christmas afternoon which prevented me from having 3 pieces of pie (I had one instead).
3. I watched my portions carefully on the Christmas leftovers. I did not do that at Thanksgiving and I think that worked against me for the 1-2 weeks following that holiday.
4. We did not have a special meal or snacks on New Years Eve.
5. I went to the gym every chance I got (not every day, but at least once in three days...). Since it was holiday time, I only did a 45 minute walk on the treadmill and did not really workout that hard. But as I always say, something is better than nothing! (And my other mantra on days that I'm unable to exercise... 'nothing/no exercise' is better than sitting on the couch and eating bon-bons all day!)
6. I only skipped writing in the food diary on Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. I kept the diary up to date on every other day.
Well, congratulations to me. (Someone has to say it!) Total weight loss is now 22.55 pounds. I'm pretty psyched about that. Still a long way to go, but taking it one pound at a time, one day at a time really helps.
~lk
I've been dying to know how much weight I must've gained over the holidays. I tried my very best to maintain the 'food diary mentality' but it was really difficult. Really difficult. There were a few days when I went to sleep completely discouraged because of my indulgences. I did not want to see all my hard work on the eliptical and the denying myself of M&Ms go to waste (or waist! as the case may be...)
I had planned on waiting 2 weeks or so before weighing myself so I did not get discouraged. Surely, I rationalized, in 2 weeks I can work off whatever I've gained and at least not get too depressed seeing a high figure on that terrible, terrible weighing machine... But I couldn't take it any more. I had to find out.
And, to my GREAT delight, I discovered that between December 21 and January 5, I actually LOST 1.65 pounds. Holy cow, I couldn't believe it.
Wondering how this could've happened, I began thinking of ways I managed to keep things under control.... and this is what I came up with:
1. When I knew I was going to indulge in one particular meal, I did my best to eat less at other meals. For instance, I would have a 'normal' breakfast if I knew lunch was going to be huge.
2. I got sick on Christmas afternoon which prevented me from having 3 pieces of pie (I had one instead).
3. I watched my portions carefully on the Christmas leftovers. I did not do that at Thanksgiving and I think that worked against me for the 1-2 weeks following that holiday.
4. We did not have a special meal or snacks on New Years Eve.
5. I went to the gym every chance I got (not every day, but at least once in three days...). Since it was holiday time, I only did a 45 minute walk on the treadmill and did not really workout that hard. But as I always say, something is better than nothing! (And my other mantra on days that I'm unable to exercise... 'nothing/no exercise' is better than sitting on the couch and eating bon-bons all day!)
6. I only skipped writing in the food diary on Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. I kept the diary up to date on every other day.
Well, congratulations to me. (Someone has to say it!) Total weight loss is now 22.55 pounds. I'm pretty psyched about that. Still a long way to go, but taking it one pound at a time, one day at a time really helps.
~lk
Comments
Loved the pics of Clark and Claire and the story of their beds. Each new change in their little lives is such an adventure. Natalie started wearing some make-up over Christmas break and finished her first series of Adult Xian novels about a month ago. GAhh - where does the time go?