Mmmm... Grapes

Today I am eating grapes... lots of grapes.

Stored carefully in the fridge in a beautiful bright pink bowl after being removed from the stems and properly cleaned, they await my eager fingers which plunge into the bowl to retrieve the goods, as precious as gold. Icy cold and refreshing. They're like M&Ms... only without the chocolatey goodness (come on, I'm not totally delusional). But delicious nonetheless, healthy, and relatively low in calories (1 cup of grapes = 100 calories). Overall, I consider them fun, fruity, pleasure-filled orbs of taste.

It is grape season here -- only comes around for maximum of two wonderful months early in the year. We're in the height of the season now, so both green and purple grapes abound... on carts on the side of the road, in pre-measured packages in the supermarkets... I will take them any way I can get them. The purple ones are my favorite... I can't really determine if they're my favorite because I actually like the taste better... or if it's just because they're purple. I'll let you decide.

I was wondering the other day if there are any recipes for grapes. I would love to use them more. I stuck them in a waldorf salad a few weeks ago. Yum... But Waldorf salad... while healthy with the nuts and the fruit is not so food-diary friendly. I think I'll do a recipe search and find some new, creative way to use my darling grapes in more meals throughout the week.

Mmmm... grapes. Go eat some today!

~lk

Comments

Trisha said…
Hi Leah,

Ok, here's an idea I saw a couple of weeks ago on Everyday Food http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/recipes/Grape_Gelatins.html let me know if you try it. I'm more of a box gelatin girl, but since you have an abundance of grapes maybe you'll try it.
Trisha said…
my link didn't work, so you'll need to go to www.pbs.org and go to the everyday food program and look for grape gelatin :)
Day by Day said…
MMM. I prefer the green ones. Will keep an eye out for any recipes. Love, "your fan",
~Lisa
Brad said…
How about quartering the grapes and using them in chicken salad on Greek flat bread or rolled up on a leaf of green lettuce.

I like my chicken salad with yogurt, celery, honey, sesame seeds, and cayenne or curry.

Enjoy
BG

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections