Mmmm... Soup

One of my favorite 'Friends' episodes is the one where Joey and Ross' son Ben both try out for the same soup commercial... and Joey is supposed to take a sip of tomato soup and say, "Mmm.. Soup"... but he practiced with chicken noodle soup and so can't say anything but "Mmm noodle soup" and does not get the part.... a lot funnier when you see it on the show I guess!

I love soup!

So for my pre-birthday dinner with Megan, I told her I wanted to have a soup buffet. I really enjoy getting soup with my meals. However, whenever my soup comes, I generally enjoy it, but also want to eat everyone else's soup at the table as well. So I've had it in my mind to get *only* soup sometime. And this pre-birthday dinner was that time.

We went through the menu carefully noting (... and I mean literally noting! on a piece of paper!) which soups looked best. This particular place had several sections to their menu, so they offered quite a few soups. I chose six, ordered all of them, and then let the tasting begin!

I got:

1. Sweet Corn Chicken Soup
2. Cream of Tomato Soup
3. Cream of Mushroom Soup
4. Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup
5. Almond and Corn Soup (Indian style)
6. Potato and Leek Soup

My favorite by far was the Sweet Corn Chicken. The Mushroom Soup was very interesting because it was seriously more mushroom than it was creamy soup. They must've taken a whole bunch of mushrooms and 'yanked them through the mixie' with some milk, maybe some chicken stock, and voila! Not your typical take it out of the packet/can and mix with water mushroom soup!

The Hot and Sour Soup was extremely hot and spicy this time. I think I should've gotten the chicken hot and sour soup... generally not quite as spicy. The Almond and Corn soup was OK, but not great.. and I loved the potato and leek soup... My post-college/pre-marriage roommate Hayley used to make the most wonderfully delicious potato and leek soup, so that reminded me of her.

The tomato soup was typical tomato soup and was tasty!

Also ate a little bit of bread (went best with the mushroom soup).

Did *not* eat a whole bowl of each one... but rather had a generous tasting of each and then ate most of the sweet corn soup and most of the mushroom soup.

What a wonderful and creative way to celebrate my pre-birthday.

Soup's On!!!

~lk

Comments

Matt Deane said…
Next time you're in our neck of the woods I'll have to have Jenny make some of her Chicken Corn Chowder for you.

Mmmmm.....
The SC Elwarts said…
Happy belated birthday. I'm glad you enjoyed your soup. :) The Friends reference reminded me of the episode when Joey & Chandler took Ben on the bus and forgot him. I was sure that the same thing would happen to me & I would have to go down to DSS and flip a coin to determine which was my child. Thankfully, though, I haven't had to do it, yet.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day