Grapevine
The kids and I are doing something new this week... a home-economics experiment, if you will...
We're making our own raisins.
For those of you at home with a food dehydrator, you're saying, "So what, that's no big deal." However, we have no appliance to help us with this little project. We're just letting nature take its course.
It is grape season here and so, as per some of my prior posts, the delightful orbs of deliciousness are in plenty all over the city. I bought up about five pounds of seedless green grapes yesterday, took them off the stems, cleaned them properly, and put them in a big pan.
Next? Stick them out in the sun to dry out naturally.
This will not be a fast process. We started it today and the grapes were in the direct sunlight baking for about 6-8 hours. Some of them are starting to dry out and turn color slightly, but I think we still have several days 'til we can start topping our bran cereals with plump, delicious and relatively healthy (non-sugared) raisins.
If you want to get technical, we're not actually making 'raisins', we're making 'sultanas', seeing as we're starting with green grapes. I should go out and buy some purple grapes and see what happens to those.
I'll try to keep you updated on the progress of this little experiment... interesting or non-interesting as it may be. Yes, it's kind of like watching grass grow or paint dry. But at least it's a fun little activity to keep us from getting bored. And it's something the kids and I can do together which is always definitely a good thing.
~lk
We're making our own raisins.
For those of you at home with a food dehydrator, you're saying, "So what, that's no big deal." However, we have no appliance to help us with this little project. We're just letting nature take its course.
It is grape season here and so, as per some of my prior posts, the delightful orbs of deliciousness are in plenty all over the city. I bought up about five pounds of seedless green grapes yesterday, took them off the stems, cleaned them properly, and put them in a big pan.
Next? Stick them out in the sun to dry out naturally.
This will not be a fast process. We started it today and the grapes were in the direct sunlight baking for about 6-8 hours. Some of them are starting to dry out and turn color slightly, but I think we still have several days 'til we can start topping our bran cereals with plump, delicious and relatively healthy (non-sugared) raisins.
If you want to get technical, we're not actually making 'raisins', we're making 'sultanas', seeing as we're starting with green grapes. I should go out and buy some purple grapes and see what happens to those.
I'll try to keep you updated on the progress of this little experiment... interesting or non-interesting as it may be. Yes, it's kind of like watching grass grow or paint dry. But at least it's a fun little activity to keep us from getting bored. And it's something the kids and I can do together which is always definitely a good thing.
~lk
Comments
Seriously, I'll be praying for you. I know how that kind of streass can wear on you and get you down. Take care of yourself!