What Matters

"Good night, Claire. You're what matters to me," I said gently as I carried Claire into her room at 11.09pm after her brother had woken her from a deep sleep.

My life is filled with variables. My life is filled with complicated situations. My life is filled with problems... oops, I mean 'opportunities to grow my character'.

However, it is as I sit here at my messy desk, reading blogs to procrastinate the work I really should be doing, I try to look past the variables, look past the complications, look past the problems to know what really matters to me. My husband, my children, my relationship with the holy God. These are some of the things that matter.

My amped up spirit must reflect on those facts. I find rest in the fact that being still and sitting with my young children is something incredibly meaningful and significant. I find comfort in the fact that our family walk to see the progress of the bridge being built is deeply important in the grand scheme of life.

Yes, I am privileged to be involved in some incredible work. Honored to be part of a worldwide team whose goal is to glorify God and to bring permanent life changing transformation to a vast multitude of people. However, in the quiet of this night when everyone else in my home is sleeping, I am overwhelmed by the fact that a small moment of intimacy between mother and child is just as eternally rewarding as the millions of people who could be affected by my seemingly small contribution to the great cause of my 'other work'.

What matters most to me is that I can hug my sweet Claire for an extra ten seconds before she retreats into her bed for the night. What matters most to me is watching Clark play with his dumptrucks in the (clean) sand on our balcony. What matters most is that my husband took the time and spent the money to take me out for lunch today.

I am thankful that I have paused tonight to consider what matters most to me. What matters most to you?

~lk

Comments

Kim G. said…
Ohhh . . . this is good for me tonight. It matters to me that I spent time with my daughter this weekend and when I gave her the choice of going to a middle school event on Friday night or a mother/daughter bunco night, she chose me and the bunco! It matters that I could put ointment on my son's owies tonight and give him some extra hugs. It matters that I have a God who doesn't care if I'm published, or know, or recognized by the world, I'm HIS child and that's all that matters.

Thanks for this post Leah! Very encouraging and timely!

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections