Difference

While reading the internet headlines tonight, I realized that I was oddly happy for Tiger/Elin Woods and Danny/Julia Moder upon hearing of the birth of their new babies. Usually I am curious about celebrity babies and want to hear the news, but tonight it was as if something had gone right in the world for these families and for all of us as well as together we all celebrate new life -- first hand or vicariously.

Why these strongly positive feelings? I am not sure, actually. But to the proud parents, I say a hearty congratulations. I hope the labor (or scheduled surgery?) was as easy as could be... and I hope the babies are perfectly healthy. I pray that some day those babies might know the God that I love and might make a positive difference in this great big world.

I'm hoping that my two babies can make a difference in this great big world. Clark moves one step closer to personal independence tomorrow as he starts First Grade. He will ride the school bus on his own with the other children. He will be at school all day. Tonight we were praying before bed and I was burdened to pray that Clark, young as his faith in the Living One might be, would be Salt and Light in his new school. That his behavior and his compassion would shine so brightly and would point others to the real meaning of Love.

I see great things in store for Clark as he uses his special gift of compassion to love and care for others. "It's OK... I'm here," he says so frequently throughout the day. He loves to comfort others in their time of need. He wants to make them feel safe and loved, even in the midst of their personal difficulty. A gentle hug. A caring hand on their shoulder. The simple act of sitting next to someone who sheds tears of sadness and grief. God made that boy very special and I believe in my heart that He has the potential to make an incredibly positive difference in the lives of so many others.

He is already, at such a young age, a leader among his peers. It just happened naturally. We did not force him into leadership. We did not 'train' him in any way to take the lead. In fact, we often find ourselves saying, "How did he get to be the leader?" Maybe it's because of the different/odd color of his skin here in the sub-continent. Maybe it's because of his scattered and unharnessed enthusiasm. Maybe it's because his joyful spirit reaches out to everyone around him. Who knows. I hope, however, that we can help him use his leadership potential for good. To love others. To make others feel special.

Sometimes I wonder if God created me just so that He could create Clark. If that is the reason for my life, then praise Him, and I can't wait to see what's going to happen.

First Grade, here we come. One of many important steps toward maturity, toward independence, toward wholeness. May God help Clark to remain faithful in this time of transition... and may we as his parents remain faithful as well.

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections