Hurrah

I am thrilled right now - close to tears, actually - because finally, for the first time since January I can see the bottom of my emails all in one screen in Outlook. It is truly a miracle.

I owe a lot of this 'success' to my new colleague Eunice who has taken over a lot of my work -- at least one-third of it -- and has competently helped me dig out from the mountain of work under which I have been hopelessly buried for so long. I have also learned to say 'no' to certain tasks that other people can surely do for themselves. And, Kevin has been moved into a slightly new role that allows him to take some of my work as well. I am so happy and relieved.

The month of October is going to be extremely busy with a variety of activities and visitors. Sometimes (well, most times, actually) I feel completely overwhelmed at the enormity of our daily schedule for the next 31 days. However, if I can take things one meeting at a time, one day at a time, one activity at a time, I think I can make it through.

Kevin will be gone all week next week on a business trip to the North of this dear country. Generally when he is gone I get a bit more work done and I eat healtheir for some reason. I'm not exactly sure why that is... because I surely have more things to do while he is gone in the childcare and household upkeep department... Maybe I am able to focus in and keep a more disciplined schedule because I know there will be no one there to help me out. Ah yes, the reality of being an adult hits once again. Why can't I just be a kid again and have everything taken care of for me? I wish there was some way to build into our children a spirit of thankfulness for the ease of life they experience when they are young. However, I suppose that is why we appreciate things so much more as adults - we truly realize what we are missing.

Tomorrow morning I'm planning to make a healthy version of blueberry pancakes. NOTE: I need more dried blueberries! Please someone send me some more dried blueberries! I got it off a new favorite website: www.hungry-girl.com. They have a great feature where they condemn the calorie and fat content of a variety of popular foods and then present their own alternative. In this entry, they show that a plate of Denny's blueberry pancakes has like 600-800 calories in just one pancake (albeit a large pancake)... and then suggest their alternative which is only 200 calories for 3 small/medium pancakes or 1 large pancake. I love pancakes (yes, yes, we've previously established that I love all food... pancakes are one that somehow I have successfully resisted however, so I cherish every moment that I'm able to eat them again). Therefore tomorrow I will indulge in this new recipe, hoping that it is tasty and can become one of my new weekend treats.

Yesterday I had a successful food diary day - I did not snack in the evening which is a good thing for me and definitely a personal triumph. I plan to pick up some flaxseed oil tablets next time we're in the US so I can try out Kris' suggestion for putting more healthy fats into my diet. Do those have calories in them? I'll have to research it. Probably not, but we'll have to see. Tonight was also mostly successful, however, after having a 1,177 calorie day, I allowed myself 200 calories of popcorn that Claire did not eat. I went over the 1,200-1,300 limit for the day, but still kept it under 1,500 which I suppose is my ultimate goal. I managed only one piece of pizza which made me happy. Although the box is still sitting on the table and so I better go wrap the remaining slices in foil and get them into the fridge before the pizza mafia comes after me and makes me binge. Somehow I've also managed to avoid doing that, but you never know when tragedy could strike.

All in all, I've had a good couple of days for the most part. And now it's off to bed before I get any more emails that would make my list extend off the bottom of the page. I plan to feed the dogs, pick up the house so it is nice and neat before bed, and then read my 'L is for Lawless' book that I started last night. Hopefully my hours of sleep will be multiplied so I can face the busy and likely difficult days ahead with grace, strength and a moderate level of enthusiasm.

Good night.

~lk

Comments

Kris said…
My bottle of flaxseed oil pills says each pill has 10 calories.

My Sneaky Chef book has a recipe for Banana ice cream you might like. Take an overripe banana, peel it and break it up into 4-6 pieces and place in a ziploc bag. Freeze. Put the frozen banana in a food processor or blender with 2 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt and pulse until smooth. You can add a 1/2 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa and a packet of sweetener for chocolate banana ice cream. It tastes just like soft serve ice cream and is about 100-120 calories (depending on the size of your banana) for about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of ice cream. Much healthier than regular ice cream (and you get more), a great way to use those overripe bananas, and it really makes you feel like you're eating ice cream. Haven't tried the stawberry ice cream recipe yet.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day