Labor Day

This has been the most non-eventful Labor Day for us in quite a while. Usually I throw a party or a picnic complete with American food and other games, etc. However, I've been sick for 4 days... and completely unenergetic for about 4 months, so there was definitely no special event in the cards for us this year.

However, here are some interesting things about today.

*We had caesar salads for lunch. Now, that might not seem like a big deal. However, keep in mind that caesar salads require LETTUCE. And recently I've been able to find lettuce in a couple of the supermarkets here. That is seriously a miracle of gigantic proportions. I would not feed this lettuce to people who have newly stepped off the plane to visit us... but our 'used-to-local-bacteria-tummies' can now take the risk. Therefore, a plate of crunchy, cold, low-cal lettuce topped with grilled chicken breast, chopped cucumbers, kiwi fruit and a bit of caesar dressing awaited us at our lunchtime table today. Mmmm... tasty and very good for us, too.

*I treated myself to a morning at the spa - manicure, pedicure and haircut... all for less than $40. The spa at my gym has recently been completely refurbished and is now completely western. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not in America when I go there. And the girl who did my nails was so friendly and suggested great colors for fingers and toes, and also did my hair in a no-nonsense 'this is what i'm doing to you so watch and learn' kind of way that just made me smile and like her all the more.

*Sania Mirza, although out of the singles tournament, is now in the quarterfinals with Indian-compatriot Mahesh Bhupati in the mixed doubles portion of the US Open. Wow. That is really amazing. I hope they do so well. This country will go NUTS! She's still in the women's doubles tournament, too, and we'll see how far she goes there. I was thinking about what it would be like if Clark and Claire were ever mixed doubles tennis partners.... hmmm... that would be so cute ... :)

*Traffic in this city is generally a complete nightmare. It has gotten to the point where we do not go out of the house unless we absolutely have to go somewhere and we cannot reschedule or cancel. We even saved all our grocery shopping for Sunday when the roads are slightly less congested. I had to take Clark to the hospital last week in the evening and debated whether or not to go because of the traffic. The traffic even deterred us from running to a store only about 1 mile away to get our weekly portion of ice cream that goes with Sunday night popcorn dinner. Hmmm maybe that was a good thing!) Anyway, I was ever-so-delightfully surprised today when my drive home from dropping Claire at school was nearly completely clear! It is not a holiday here, so there is no reason for it to be light traffic. So as I sailed through a generally snarled-up intersection without even tapping the brakes I couldn't help but say, "Praise the Lord!" for such a wonderful blessing.

All for now. Hope you Labor was full of fun and blessings. Now put away those white shoes!!

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections