Magic
I learned something new the other day. I was so thrilled to learn this new skill that I could hardly stop smiling! It completely made my day and I must share this new skill with the entire world.
Rachel has just arrived from the US ready to work with our partner organization in another city here in South Asia. She lumbered through my front door one rainy afternoon and immediately said, 'What can I do to help?'
Delighted to hear these six precious words, I immediately put her to work doing the mindless tasks that need to be done around my office. Meanwhile, Elise was also here and asked to use one of our permanent markers to label some CDs... yes, more mindless work. As I handed her the permanent marker, I began to tell both Elise and Rachel the sorrowful tale of my beloved children's propensity to write on my white board with permanent marker. Those Darn Sharpies!! I showed them the artwork that was so proudly displayed on the white board mounted to the left of my desk and showed my disapproval with the most sad, pouting eyes that cried out, 'Please feel sorry for me!'
It was at that moment that Rachel offered, 'Would you like me to clean that off for you?'
Thinking she was still under the influence of jet lag and therefore suffering from some kind of delusion, but of course not wanting to crush her servant-hearted spirit, I said, 'Sure, why not'... all the while my thoughts dripping with cynicism.
Moments later, after I had turned my attention back to my computer screen, I noticed Rachel in my peripheral vision working on the white board. Amazingly, the permanent marker was coming off! I nearly fell off my chair with disbelief and excitement.
And how was she doing this, you ask??
She used a normal dry erase marker... traced over the permanent marker... and then erased both. And VOILA!! Permanent marker was gone. Amazing. Simply amazing. I was so happy.
Another very valuable life skill learned. Another pre-schooler induced disaster averted... or at least cleaned up for the time being. I am thrilled to have this new skill and plan to tell everyone who will listen about it. Magic, I tell you. Pure magic.
~lk
Rachel has just arrived from the US ready to work with our partner organization in another city here in South Asia. She lumbered through my front door one rainy afternoon and immediately said, 'What can I do to help?'
Delighted to hear these six precious words, I immediately put her to work doing the mindless tasks that need to be done around my office. Meanwhile, Elise was also here and asked to use one of our permanent markers to label some CDs... yes, more mindless work. As I handed her the permanent marker, I began to tell both Elise and Rachel the sorrowful tale of my beloved children's propensity to write on my white board with permanent marker. Those Darn Sharpies!! I showed them the artwork that was so proudly displayed on the white board mounted to the left of my desk and showed my disapproval with the most sad, pouting eyes that cried out, 'Please feel sorry for me!'
It was at that moment that Rachel offered, 'Would you like me to clean that off for you?'
Thinking she was still under the influence of jet lag and therefore suffering from some kind of delusion, but of course not wanting to crush her servant-hearted spirit, I said, 'Sure, why not'... all the while my thoughts dripping with cynicism.
Moments later, after I had turned my attention back to my computer screen, I noticed Rachel in my peripheral vision working on the white board. Amazingly, the permanent marker was coming off! I nearly fell off my chair with disbelief and excitement.
And how was she doing this, you ask??
She used a normal dry erase marker... traced over the permanent marker... and then erased both. And VOILA!! Permanent marker was gone. Amazing. Simply amazing. I was so happy.
Another very valuable life skill learned. Another pre-schooler induced disaster averted... or at least cleaned up for the time being. I am thrilled to have this new skill and plan to tell everyone who will listen about it. Magic, I tell you. Pure magic.
~lk
Comments