Open and Free

My beloved grocery store has finally completed its miraculous transformation.

Today, the new Q-Mart opened here in town. This is my preferred grocery store in town because 1) it has a delightful variety of local and imported products; 2) it's located right near Claire's school so is convenient for me to shop at; and 3) the people there know me and love me since I go there just about every day.

It has been a fun place to shop and find 'buried treasure' from time to time... the store was so small and yet had so many interesting things packed into its cramped shelves. However, they always had a huge supply of Diet Coke which they took bets on how many cases I would buy whenever I came in. "Only 2 cases today, madam?" (He must've had his money on 5.... our record, during what we thought was a Diet Coke shortage was 11 cases in one trip... addicts, that is what we are!)

Anyway, I digress.

Today was the long-awaited opening of the newly expanded, moved and refurbished Q-Mart. The store relocated itself to a bigger two-floor location across the street (which, incidentally is even more convenient for my personal travels as it is now on the correct side of the road for me to just make a quick stop at...). It is furnished with western grocery store paraphernalia and has increased its stock to be at least triple, if not four times the stock the previous store held.

They added a full-service bakery upstairs which carries breads, cakes, muffins and other tasty treats. They added a meat and cheese counter where imported processed and other meats/cheeses are now available (and which will be very tasty on the freshly made baguettes you can buy from the new bakery!). They added two-levels of underground parking. They added a full size fruits and vegetable section. They increased the size of their shopping carts. They have seven checkout counters.

Overall, I think it's pretty amazing.

Today was so fun as I emerged through the heavily decorated doorways on opening day. There were news crews there covering the event and there was cake and soft drinks for everyone. In addition, the bakery upstairs was simply giving away (!) all their products today! Free cake, bread and muffins, etc., for everyone! I was so happy! Although I didn't actually want to eat any of those things, I definitely wanted to look at what they were offering. Amid the bakery shelves were some promotional baskets filled with two loaves of special bread, some rolls and some muffins. I asked if I could buy one since they were so cute (and tasty looking) and the manager gave me the whole basket full of baked goods for FREE! I was beside myself with joy. I don't think I stopped smiling the rest of the day :)

Some fun things that I found today:

1. Iceberg lettuce
2. Pork chops
3. Pork ribs
4. Summer squash
5. Thomas Kemper root beer
6. Broccoli

Along with all my usual shopping needs... of which there were plenty!

Today was a fun day. The new Q-Mart is OPEN! And they gave me so much stuff FREE! What could be better than that.

~lk

Comments

Lisa said…
Lovin' Q-Mart with you.

Yesterday, we were walking by a Florist Shop and they were just handing out bouquets of flowers in honor of friendship day or something like that. That put a smile on my face.
Matt Deane said…
Could you have the Q-Mart people place a call to my local auto mechanic and see if he will give me some free tires? And fix my window free? And my door lock? And the knob that controls the AC/Heat fan?

Thank you in advance, Q-Mart people.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day