Classic

Clark is officially an American child now.

This afternoon, we sat together on the couch for some reading time. I had my book and told him he had to choose his own books to 'read'. He got a big stack of them as usual and sat down ever-so-close to me and began leafing through his literature.

I was just getting in to the pages of my Sue Grafton novel when in my left ear I can hear Clark's little voice saying, "I am Sam".... "Sam I am".... "Do you like Green Eggs and Ham?"

His confident words sparked my interest and I put my book down to observe.

He was reading Dr. Seuss' beloved classic "Green Eggs and Ham" all by himself. His 6-year-old finger traced each line of text, pausing at such difficult words as 'would' and 'could'... But reading, nonetheless.

"Mama, look how many pages I've read!" he exclaimed with a delightful sense of pride and accomplishment. Yes, indeed, he was reading.

I was overwhelmed with joy to see my little boy taking the next step in language acquisition and academic maturity. Thrilled at his aptitude I let him read to me until he got tired (approxmiately page 30-32 in the bright orange volume...) and then congratulated him on such an outstanding performance.

"I do so like Green Eggs and Ham, I do so like them Sam-I-am!"

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day