Shock and Awe

I am presently so thankful for the bed that we are sleeping in!  It is in the basement guest room in the beautiful home of our friends Dan and Wendy.  I am preparing to go make myself at home in that delightful bed in just a few minutes and just the thought of slumbering in it for 7-8 hours is making me feel happy and content.  The bed has just the right degree of firmness/softness, and the room in which the bed resides is the perfect amount of darkness combined with the perfect temperature.  For what more could I ask?!?  My eyes are droopy and my brain in its usual unfocused state, but before retiring for the day, just a few updates, thoughts and reflections.

We have had a super time in Portland so far - this weekend was outstanding.  We went to our favorite place of worship and enjoyed ourselves immensely as we basically surprised everyone we knew with our presence in the four services over the course of two days.  Our usual 'lobby loitering' ministry proved once again very productive in seeing just about everyone.  People seemed to be extra happy to see us since they weren't expecting us to be there.  That make us feel especially special and loved, something we both need right now.  

I had a very special afternoon having coffee and wonderful conversation with my dear friend Amber.   A few hours of girl-chat and leisurely browsing at Barnes and Noble was definitely not enough to make up for all the time we spend apart, but it was definitely a good start and I was thankful for every second I was allowed to be in her presence.  There were lots of hugs, loads of laughs, and some serious bits thrown in as well.  We were able to secure a couch at Bella Espresso in Beaverton, right by the fireplace, and ever-so-near to a bronzy-brown vase filled with deep-red fake roses that I nearly stuffed in my purse and took home.  Extra thanks to Amber for coming up to Portland from her new home in the South to join me for such a festive and much-needed afternoon filled with good girlfriend time.

Clark and Claire spent the night with Sarah and Stephanie.... and although I was not there to witness it all first-hand, I heard that the night included 1) tents and sleeping bags; 2) smores; 3) Elf and The Grinch; 4) Crafts; 5) Spaghetti; 6) Fruit Loops; 7) A Gingerbread House; and 8) a five-pound dog that does amazing tricks that Claire managed to leave alive at the end of the evening.  They had a super time and I'm sure they will never forget it.  A special thanks to Kevin and Becky for allowing this extraordinary event to happen under their ever-welcoming roof.

We have also enjoyed our extended times spent with our hosts and friends Dan and Wendy.   They are some of the most genuine people that we know and we appreciate them so very much.  We have had delicious meals, hearty laughs, and interesting heart-to-hearts that have warmed our souls.  This is what we're here for.  This is the healing we need.  This is the earthly love that has surrounded us with the Father's arms.  Thankful.  Thankful indeed.

Tomorrow we're off to the Oregon Coast for a day with our friends the Keeners.  Could there be anything better?  We're very excited.  Moe's Clam Chowder, here we come!

~lk

Comments

Day by Day said…
Friends, sleep and Moe's Chowder! All good things!
Amber Himes said…
My dear, it was a pleasure! Girlfriend time is the best and worth traveling both great and small distances to experience.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day