Wide Awake

Looking out the window into the still murky darkness of the early morning hours, I am reminded of one of the great benefits of jet lag.... early morning productivity.

Once the frustration from being unable to fall back asleep has subsided, and once I have dragged my overtired-yet-unable-to-slumber body from the warmth of the hide-a-bed, the joy that I get from the clarity of the early morning is treasured and welcomed during overseas trips.

This morning, at the early hour of 5.00a, I received great delight from sitting with legs covered in afghans while the also-awake children watched break-of-dawn cartoons, and I had the opportunity to work uninterrupted for several hours until the rest of the world woke up.

Next to me sits a bottle of water to re-hydrate me from the dryness of the room produced by the in-home central heating, in addition to a cup of steaming hot coffee that my mom put on to brew when she also awoke before the sun to get in her morning exercise.  Breakfast can wait for some more time, but the water and coffee bring welcome refreshment from the 'harshness' of the night.

Emails and skype chats await.  Reports and proposals are on the docket.  Plan-making for our time in the US is at the top of the list.  Check! Check! Check!  One thing after another gets done.  What a great way to start the day.

I love being productive.  I love eliminating the abundance of messages from my in-box.  I love crossing things off my to-do list.  Therefore, this jet-lag-induced early morning productivity brings me great joy and a sense of inner peace and accomplishment.

Tomorrow morning may be different.  I may long to remain in bed and let sleep overcome me.  But for today I enjoy the fact that my brain and body clock are still making the trip from the other side of the world.  And therefore I revel in the ability to work and write and let my strengths operate at maximum capacity.

Welcome early morn', welcome!

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day