Hack

We are back home after our five weeks of travel... and the first thing I did was make ice cream!

Well, that is a slight exaggeration.  I actually slept, unpacked, cleaned house, ate oatmeal with blueberries, had a dinner party for 17 people... and *then* made ice cream.  But it was definitely one of my #1 priorities.  I couldn't wait to use the new ice cream maker attachment for my beloved KitchenAid mixer. 

I figure having the ice cream maker will allow me to better control what goes into my all-time absolute favorite treat which has been mostly banned from my diet since commencing the food diary journey.  However, perhaps now I will be able to make ice cream that is healthier and overall a less guilty indulgence.

However, in true Kadwell fashion, making this ice cream for the first time required a hack saw.

Yes, that's right, a hack saw.

We discovered early on that there was some kind of an extra piece on my mixer that prohibited the attachment from fitting properly as per manufacturer's instructions.  After searching online for some kind of other solution, the desperate need for creamy goodness overtook us and we just whipped out the saw and started hacking.  Ten minutes later we were good to go.

And 20 minutes after that we had fresh, tasty, homemade vanilla ice cream that tasted just like Dairy Queen.  After a few initial tastings with both fingers and spoons, I put the yummy creation into the freezer for an overnight hardening.  Hopefully today it will be of proper consistency and we can enjoy a small scoop as dessert after lunch.

Today/tomorrow I will likely try making a more traditional custard-based ice cream, or even some mango sorbet.  Most other frozen desserts of this kind require cooking and cooling - neither of which I was willing to endure in my ice-cream-maker-crazed-frenzy last night.

So a special thanks to Kevin's parents for this unique and very useful Christmas gift.  You can anticipate more from the Ice Cream Maker Chronicles in the weeks, months and years to come.

~lk

Comments

Kim S said…
And I hope you will be sharing all of your low calorie delights on your blog! Bob received an ice cream maker for his birthday, but we have only used it once!
dashkad said…
It just dawned on me, we never did get a demonstration on how well the ice cream bowl worked. Guess we'll have to do that at your house.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections