Obsession

I am completely and utterly obsessed with oatmeal.

Ever since returning home in mid-January, I cannot get enough oatmeal.  It started out innocently enough because it was the only thing in the house to eat (healthy and low-cal) on our first morning back.  There was no cereal, eggs only came later in the morning, and I did not want to have toast.  So oatmeal it was.  I added a few dried blueberries (which plumped up nicely once I added water), as well as 1/2 a pack of Splenda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt... and voila, a delicious, hot, and relatively filling meal.

But then the next morning... and the next... and the next... all I could think about was eating oatmeal.  The obsession grew beyond blueberries to strawberries and apples and cinnamon and bananas.  What else can I add?  How much more can I eat?  My mouth is watering even as I sit here and my stomach is crying out for that sweet, tasty, true breakfast of champions!  When will morning come so I can indulge?!?!

My favorite mix-in by far is bananas.  It seems to be the ultimate comfort food meal that is also high in fiber and low in calories.  1/2 cup dry oatmeal, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 pack Splenda, 1 banana chopped up, 1 c water.  Two minutes in the microwave.  A small spoon so I can savor every bite.  Sweet, soft, comforting... absolutely scrumptious.

Oatmeal, my precious oatmeal, in how many other ways can I eat you?  Breakfast, lunch, dinner options?  Cookies? Breads? Cakes?  There must be many, many ways I can implement this most wonderful of all foods into my diet.  The morning is only 7 hours away.  My brand new container of quick oats, freshness seal still in tact, is awaiting me, crying out for me to sleep so that I can eventually wake up and partake of its divine offerings.

Until the next meal....
~lk

Comments

Unknown said…
A friend of mine gave me a recipe for baked oatmeal. I will have to find it & send it to you :)
Kim S said…
Oh, I haven't eaten breakfast yet. I am headed for a bowl of instant oatmeal!

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections