Overhaulin'

As those of you who read my blog regularly are well aware, one of my constant life projects is cleaning my desk.

Yes, you guessed it, I'm at it again.

Upon returning home from the US, our suitcases with all our office supplies and computer equipment and children's games and coloring/craft supplies basically just exploded onto my desk.  I couldn't even find a flat desk surface on which to put my beloved pink Mac.  It was precariously perched upon piles of papers, post-its and pens.  (Awesome alliteration!  Yeah!)

I have been going through each room of the house with a fine-tooth comb, cleaning, purging, de-cluttering, and placing new and old items alike.  I'm trying to get everything picked up, organized, and looking altogether great.  There are times when I cannot sleep at night knowing there is clutter to be removed from the house.  Can you imagine my torture while residing on the other side of the planet from the dozens of VHS videos in the guest room closet that had all of a sudden become my prime source of anxiety and dismay?

Well, my desk has not been quite an easy task over the last few days.  It surely cannot be done in a 15-minute chunk of time.  Therefore, every time I walk past my desk, I try to grab one thing that is out of place, or throw one thing away, or shred one piece of paper.  It's working, but I still have a long way to go.

Presently on my desk I have at least 25-30 CDs to dispose of - and they can't simply be thrown away... they must be broken or in some other way destroyed.  I have a calendar that should be hung somewhere.... but I'm not sure where.  I have a giant ziplock bag full of crayons, colored pencils and pens that I need to sort through, discard old/unusable items, and then put away in some place where they will not again reach their present state of utter chaos.  I have two new delightful packs of specialty post-its that I love - one is a block of various shades of purple... the other is pink with my 'L' initial in the corner.  However, after cleaning out my desk drawer earlier today (a monumental task in itself) I discovered I already had 10 packs of post-its in there.  Hmmm apparently I have a mental block against existing post-its.  I have four journaling notebooks that must be sorted through.  I have five pieces of PC computer peripherals plus all the wires that must be stored somewhere now that I use only Mac.  I have a clay cup, a bottle of tylenol, 2 passports, a box of kleenex, 20 pens, a bottle of vitamins, a coffee cup, an ID card, my Bible, a power strip, my phone, my sunglasses, a paper flower Claire made at school, a bag ful of books to be FedExed to Canada, a CD to be couriered to Bombay, a bill to be reimbursed, a 'Kadwell Menu' to be transcribed into the computer, a traffic ticket to be given to the offender (not ours... came to our address, though)... and a few other things that surely must be buried under this delightful mess.

Whoa.  I'm tired just thinking about where I'm going to put all this stuff.  I better either get cracking... or go take a nap.  Or go watch the Australian Open.  Hmmm.  Option Three sounds the best to me.

Wish me luck!  When it's all done I promise to post a picture of the newly cleaned workspace.

~lk 

Comments

Maggie said…
As you described that, i could totally picture your desk!
Kim S said…
How come you didn't come by and clean off my desk while you were in Oregon? It could really use your help! Maybe next time.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day