Starved
I'm hungry.
This is a thought I have had constantly since returning home. Hungry, hungry, hungry.
Not just 'wanting to eat something' hungry... but truly 'gut wrenching stomach pain' hunger. Like 'I haven't eaten all day' hungry. 'Could eat an entire pizza plus all the ice cream in our freezer' hungry.
But I know I should not eat.
I think it is a function of jet lag. And probably also my body getting used to the fact that I'm not drinking 1-2 Starbucks triple-grande-non-fat-no-whip-single-pump-mochas every day. I didn't realize that I was eating so much more in America, but apparently I was. Thankfully I didn't gain weight or grow out of my clothes while we were there!
Perhaps I am hungry from all the reverse-reverse-culture shock from which I am suffering. Yes, we are of course well-adjusted to our home in South Asia, but the sense of irritation I face after using American washing machines and clothes dryers does tend to increase when I return to my hardly-ever-functional washing machine at home.
Perhaps I am hungry from all the unpacking and decluttering that fills me with such great joy, but indeed does take a lot of effort.
Perhaps I am hungry from all the emotional stress over the 2-3 major crises I've had to handle since returning. For me, I would rather exert an enormous amount of physical energy, than even the tiniest bit of emotional energy. Surely my stressed-out state of mind is contributing to the constant pit in the bottom of my stomach.
Perhaps I am hungry because I am awake every day by 5.00am and staying up 'til 10p/11p. Burning extra hours of daylight (or moonlight!) must definitely be one key reason.
To battle this hunger I have been opting for oatmeal with fruit in the morning instead of my usual cereal. However, even the oatmeal doesn't seem to be sticking to my ribs. I've also been attending to my usual zero-calorie drink routine.... water-coffee-water-diet coke-water-crystal light- water-coffee....
I'm hungry, I'm hungry, I'm hungry. It's nearly 4pm snack time... what will I eat?
~lk
Comments