Favorite

February is my all-time favorite month.

Yes, that's right, my birthday is in February and that gives the month a slight edge in favorite status.  Although I must say that I'm not at all thrilled to be turning a dreaded year older this year.  Ugh.  I'm finally to the 'old' birthday.  Bleh.  But at least we can ring in the new status of 'oldness' with great celebration and lots of delicious chocolate cake.  

The fact that it is February already is astounding to me.  It seems as if just yesterday the children and I were standing on the balcony of our beach house in Florida lighting sparklers to ring in the new year.  It seems like just moments ago that we returned to India and began the settling back in process to our usual routine.  Could it already be a month into the new year?  Only 11 more months to go 'til 2009?  I was hoping that my recent decision to 'enjoy every moment' would cause time to actually slow down, stand still, or at least not rush by quite as quickly.

Alas, I was wrong.

However, if the time had to rush by, it might as well rush by into the month of February.  I have Valentines Day Candy in my cupboard calling out to us, demanding its freedom, tempting me to put it into a decorative bowl on the dining table.  It wants to be consumed; longs to be eaten; deeply desires to be put to good use on someone's thighs.  Will I make heart shaped cookies?  Will I learn how to make royal icing to 'flood' the top of said cookies with luscious goodness that I really have no idea how to create?  Will I remember to unearth the pink-colored, silicone, heart-shaped cupcake 'pan' that I brought from Target to make some tantalizing chocolate-y hearts of goodness?

The kids want to give Valentines to their classmates.  They of course will have to make those Valentines seeing as there are no Valentines to be purchased here in the delightfully 'still-questioning-the-validity-and-commercialism-of-Valentines-Day' South Asia.  So red, construction paper hearts with precious crayon drawings will have to do.  They each have 24 classmates.  That means we have to make at least 48 Valentines... plus some for their teachers... Ooo.  We better get going on those - only 10 days left.

And of course probably one of my favorite reasons for loving the treasured month of February is that nearly everything is pink.  The two calendars I have hanging precariously over my desk are adorned in pink accent colors.   Love pink.  Absolutely love it.  Therefore a whole month full of pink brings me incredible amounts of joy.  And even more than February, more than chocolate, more than pink, I love joy.  For me, February is characterized by joy.  The glass is half FULL, there is a SILVER LINING, the SUN really will come out tomorrow.   The joy is not only deep down in my heart, but has also bubbled up to the surface for me in this tremendous second month of the new year.  For me, February is JOY.

And so, full of pink, full of joy, full of birthday wishes and full of all things made of love, I go to bed tonight anticipating a peaceful month during which I expect to dwell on and enjoy every moment in my own way, in my own time, and with my own positive attitude which no one can destroy or take away.

Happy February!

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections