Obsession

I am completely obsessed with removing things from my house.

I have turned into a complete decluttering freak.  Yesterday, I flew into a decluttering frenzy.  The empty bottle of shampoo that has been sitting on the side of our bathtub for approximately 10 days finally got to me.  I grabbed our blue 'hang up the laundry' basket from outside on our terrace and began storming through the house trying to find things to throw out or give away.

I went about it in the 'Flylady 27 Thing Fling Boogie' method... which means basically I went on a treasure hunt-style search for at least 27 things to remove from our home.  I thought it was going to be difficult considering that in the last month I have given at least 12 bags of things away after we had returned from the USA.

I was wrong.

Would you believe I found not 27 things... but 93 things?!!?  Yes, that's right NINETY-THREE things to give away or toss in the trash.  It was unbelievable.  The sense of relief that has swept over me is palatable.  I can breathe again.  I can go into our bathroom with a great sense of relief that I will no longer see that conspicuously empty shampoo bottle that was driving me absolutely bonkers.  My kitchen cupboards are a little cleaner.  My CD/DVD cases are a little lighter.  My closet has two fewer items in it.  My fridge is delightfully cleaned out.  The two rugs that have been irritating me to new realms of frustration have now been joyfully carried away by our friendly neighborhood trash collector.  

I am thrilled beyond belief.  And, despite the mocking that I endure because of this out-of-control obsession, I seriously can't wait 'til the next time when at least 27 more things make an overdue exit from my house.  I'm hoping that when Kevin comes home that he will let me devour his closet.  Oh the things I'm sure I could find in there... hmmmm... But that of course will have to wait for another day.

Such a sense of contentment, a sense of peace, a sense of order and harmony in our family's abode.  The world is once again how it should be.

~lk

Comments

Day by Day said…
Laughing at the hoping "he will let me devour his closet" comment.
Good job showing restraint. :)
There was one time that I went through my hubbies drawers, picked out a pile of clothes that haven't been worn in a year or were tattered. I put the selected items on his dresser until he came home from work. I asked, "Are there any of these that you still want?" He said, "No, looks like you got it all". Into the bag they went. :)

I often think of you my friend as I remove things from my house. Here's to more days of peace and order in our homes!
Matt Deane said…
You're weird.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections