The Shadow
"When God gives you a vision and darkness follows, wait... whenever God gives a vision to a Christian, it is as if He puts him in 'the shadow of His hand' (Isaiah 49:2). The saint's duty is to be still and listen... God will bring the vision He has given you to reality in your life if you will wait on His timing. Never try to help God fulfill His word." ~ Oswald Chambers
Genesis 15 is the story of when God made His covenant with Abraham/Abram -- a man who (at the time), although he was chosen by God and had unbelievable potential -- was feeling extremely down and low and depressed. He had nothing in this world. He couldn't see God's blessings. He saw others prospering, but was completely resigned to the fact that prosperity and extraordinary blessings were not his lot in life. He questioned God and was likely feeling quite sorry for himself, wondering how he was going to cope with the disappointing life he had been given. There is a sense that he was trying to be content, but was having a hard time with it.
Wow! This is Abraham... the father of the Christian faith! I can't believe he felt this way -- so full of uncertainty, insecurity and likely despair. So many times I also feel this way. I see others prospering in ways I want to prosper - financially or in their relationships or in their careers -- and I think to myself that my life was just not meant for prosperity in these areas. I realize I am doing well in some areas, but in these other aspects of life I feel 'lesser' than others and have resigned myself to a life of mediocracy. Contentment alludes me no matter how hard I try to find it; no matter how much I cry out to the Lord to help me accept the position in life He's given; no matter how much I focus on the good and emphasize the blessings. Somehow it's never enough -- and all too often that lack of contentment only adds to the sense of personal despair.
In Genesis 15, however, we see that it is in the darkness of night and in the frightening shadows of this uncertainty that the Lord meets face to face with Abram and makes one of the greatest and most significant promises of blessing of all time. Abram can't believe it at first and has no idea how he will help God make this incredible promise come true. But God basically says, "Relax. Don't worry about it. It's your job to trust me and allow me to bless you as together we move forward in supernatural ways."
Still in the depths of the shadow and the 'horror' of that moment (verse 12), Abraham decides to let go of any doubt and discontent and believe God. We see that at that very moment, God credits Abraham with great spiritual maturity and the character quality of 'righteousness' -- one of the most popular verses/statements in the whole Bible (verse 6).
In his devotional on this topic, Oswald Chambers also mentions Isaiah 49:2, "He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of His hand He hid me; He made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver." It is as if God uses the shadows, the darkness, the difficult, depressed and low times of our lives -- those times we really all feel so very often it seems -- to do His own very special, secret, personal work of shaping us into His 'secret weapon' to do His work and accomplish His will.
Perhaps this work in our lives cannot be adequately done in the bright sunshine-y days. Perhaps the point He's trying to make will not be adequately driven home. The vision he wants to give may pale and get lost in comparison. Therefore, God needs the shadow times, the dark times, the times where we can't see the way ahead. Or better yet, shall I say WE need those times to see God's vision for our life -- His grand plan, His great promise, His overarching goodness -- more clearly.
I suppose, then, that it is our job to joyfully endure the darkness in full knowledge that God will help us emerge from the deepest of shadows covered in His precious hand and with a vision that will amaze us.
"Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the word of His servant? Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God" (Isaiah 50:10).
God, please guide us in the horror of the darkness and give us the strength and the faith to move beyond our discontent, our discouragements and our sense of dissatisfaction with life. Give us your vision and in your truly almighty, never-ending power, give us what we need everyday to claim your vision and promises for our lives."
~lk
Comments