Home

It is late Sunday night, March 9, and I am home once again.  

Last night I arrived on South Asian soil after leaving on a 6am flight from Frankfurt (after enjoying a delicious, hot cup of Starbucks in the airport), landed for a 4-hour layover in Amsterdam (where I had another delicious, hot cup of Starbucks in the airport), and then finally caught the flight home.  Touching down at 2am, we waited nearly two more hours for my two small bags to come off the airplane.  My bag was in the last cart of luggage... nearly the last bag off the aircraft.  I was ever-so-happy to see it!

Sneaking in the house at around 4.30am, I unpacked a few little goodies from my bags, put all the laundry in the hamper, put on my new delightful pink slippers Debbie had sent for me, and crawled into bed.  Three hours later when it was time to get up and greet the world, I couldn't will my eyes to open, nor plead with my limbs to move.  Thankfully Kevin let me sleep and took the kids off to church.  Rising out of bed just after noon, I felt much better. 

The first day back after my trip was spent doing laundry, cleaning house, eating probably way too much in my jet lagged condition, getting a little exercise on our bike, and making a run to Q-Mart to stock up for the guests we'll be hosting starting in two hours.  Kevin will run to the airport in the middle of the night for the fourth night in a row to fetch our friends who will be with us for a week for business, vision and evaluation.  It'll be a week packed with activity.  Looking forward to the end of the month and a little respite from the busyness that seems to have consumed us of late.

The kids enjoyed the presents I brought for them from Germany - especially the glitter pens which they played with for a couple of hours and insisted on doing their homework with as well.  We'll see how their teacher feels about that!  The weather is extremely hot here compared to Germany... the Mac temperature widget tells me it was 98 degrees here in the day and is now 80 degrees at 11 o'clock at night.  Thankfully, the calendar has turned to March, and we are therefore 'allowed' to start using the air conditioners in our bedroom and office when we can no longer bear the heat.  It's nearly March 10 already, so we'll see how much longer we last.

And now, it's off to bed for me.  Hopefully I will be able to sleep.  I'm happy to be home -- I had a great trip that refreshed me and filled me up a bit... and still, though, I'm glad to be back in the comforting confines of my own home.

~lk

Comments

Kim G. said…
Glad you made it home safely - and there! We saw footage of a plane trying to land during that wind storm in Germany - hope it wasn't yours!

I love the quote you shared from your boss and it was good to read some of the highlights from your trip. Sounds like it was a blessing and you did well on your eating and exercise goals. It's always good to get home, isn't it?
Kim S said…
Did you get your chocolate biscuit on Friday? Was it as good as anticipated?

Glad you are home safe. I too, saw scary footage of Luftansa plane trying to land in Germany. I had read your description and then saw the news. Gulp. Hope you weren't on that one!

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day