Scope

Here are a few observations from my head to yours today....

On my hour-long morning walks I have seen: 

1. 'Beer Academy' - I'm sure some people who went to Ithaca College with me would have much rather have gone to Beer Academy... or maybe they did?

2. A gravestone/headstone 'shop' - a big lawn full of headstones made of marble/granite that you can browse through and choose for when your day of departure from this earth comes upon you

3. About 5 pharmacies in the 2 mile loop that I do - apparently people get really sick in this town and have a huge need for medications?

4. Pedestrians really pay attention to the Walk/Don't Walk lights at street crossings - the first few days I jaywalked against the signals since the pre-dawn hours don't have as much traffic... until I noticed that none of the other locals were doing that... so I have stopped and wait for the green walk sign even if there are no people and no cars in sight!

5. Bakeries, bakeries, bakeries - otherwise known as complete TORTURE.  I can't wait 'til Friday morning when I can carefully choose one of these bakeries and purchase 1-2 delicious chocolate pastries.  Mmmmmm can't wait.

 Some reflections on the sessions I've been attending:

 1. The morning speaker suggested that in our work we should be moving 'From Competition to Complementarity'.  This has been so very much on my heart lately as I want so much to help people act, live and work within their strengths, and then rely on others who have other strengths to effectively complement the entire team.  This has become so important to me and I want to spread this message to everyone I meet.  How can we work together - truly together in a sense of genuine interdependence - to be more effective and glorify our God?

2. Believing the best.  I must believe the best about others.  I can pray that others will believe the best about me, but of course I cannot control what others do.  Therefore, I must believe the best about others and not assign motives to their actions.  This is an incredibly difficult exercise for me and requires an intensive effort on my part to accomplish.  However, this effort is definitely worth it for the building of trust and relationships it produces.

3. Our international leader today said, 'When you make a new start, it won't be long 'til you have your first failure.  The way you face that first failure will be the turning point in the resolution.'  Oh how very true that is!  All of us are constantly 'turning over new leafs' or making new commitments to ourselves or to God.  Or starting new diets... or pledging to exercise more... or trying to be a better parent to our children.  Making resolutions and new commitments is extremely valid and important, especially within broken relationships that need restoration and reconciliation.  However, we must realize that no situation, no resolution, no commitment can ever be lived up to perfectly.  We cannot give up or resort to old coping mechanisms when we face our first potential failure.  We must press on in the knowledge and effort to maintain our commitment and move forward in life, never looking back, never acting in the old ways.  This really impacted me.

4. Last night, my boss said in his main presentation to the body here, ‘His empowering presence always leads to his extraordinary purposes.’ Wow.  That is so true.  I wrote that down and it will be going in the quote library.  God, working through us, in His remarkable and unique ways, can accomplish so much more than we could ever ask or imagine.  I want that empowering presence in my life today and always.

And last but not least, a weather report. 

  • The rain has gone away.
  • The coldness has gotten even colder.
  • The wind is still blowing.
  • It snowed ever-so-briefly today… just a few beautiful, white fluffy flakes.

Oh, and a chocolate biscuit update.

  • 0 Chocolate biscuits consumed to date.
  • 0 pastries
  • 2 pieces of German bread
  • 1 German sausage
  • 2 small German pretzels

(overall not too bad, eh?  Friday is ‘a comin’!)

Enjoy your day!

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

These are a few of my favorite things

Birthday Reflections