Lagging
I am up and completely wide awake at 1.00am because my internal clock is still in Paris at the French Open enjoying just one more golden brown baguette that is delightfully crunchy on the outside, but pillow-soft on the inside. Does that mean I'm in denial about the fact that I've returned home to normal life after enjoying my time away so much?
Traveling from rain-infused England to the heat of South Asia produces jet lag that keeps you up at night because of the 4-5 hour time difference. Midnight approaches, arrives, and departs without the true realization that all 'normal' people have long retreated to the comforts of their bed. Claire and I have it the worst. I think Claire is on the home stretch... but my schedule and the number of emails in my in-box are forcing me to stay up late at night and 'enjoy' the 'fruits' of the jet lag.
As an aside, traveling from America to South Asia produces early morning wake up times, long before the rising of the roosters, when you just can't fall back asleep. Of the two - late nights or early mornings, I'm not sure which I prefer.
This time around, however, my jet lag is also manifesting itself in extreme hunger! My body either adjusted to eating so much... and we really did eat so much...! and now my stomach is all stretched out and craving more deliciously carb-packed food... OR My body clock wants dinner at 10pm since that's when I would've been indulging in it in England (6pm) or France (5pm). Either way, I'm starving.
But because of all the gluttony in which we partook while on vacation, I really have to balance that out by being ultra-'good' for a while. So far, so good... three good days in a row. Under 1,400 calories and an hour of moderately difficult exercise each day. It's times like this (when trying to lose or balance out) that the hunger pangs... although frustrating... feel kind of good.
And now it's back to the entrenchment of my email in-box. Hoping to get under 80 emails tonight. It's a process. Slow, but sure.
~lk
Comments