Happy but Nervous

After two weeks of waiting, I am happy that Wimbledon is starting today.  As I type, there are about 3 1/2 hours remaining before the first match on Center Court.

However, I am extremely nervous about what the outcome of this tournament might be.  I still want Roger Federer to win.  I am a pretty big Federer fan, but my allegiances have been slightly shifting to some of the up and coming players like Djokovic.   However, when asked who I want to win Wimbledon (or the French Open for that matter), I still stand by Federer.  I would love to see him break the record for number of consecutive wins at Wimbledon... and I would love to see him achieve the Career Grand Slam.  He's been so good for so long that it just seems fitting that he should be able to do so.

I don't know why, but for now I simply cannot support Rafael Nadal.  He looks like a nice enough person and he is for sure an excellent tennis player.  But something in me just wants him to lose.  Perhaps I know that he's Federer's biggest competition and I am therefore biased against him.  That's probably it.

On the women's side, I would love to see Sania Mirza advance beyond the third round.  I think she has to beat Venus Williams to do that.  So of course that would be a miracle if that happened.  And she would become even more of a national hero than she already is.  

However, to be more realistic, I would love to see Ana Ivanovic win.  Is that likely?  I'm not sure.  The Williams Sisters will be hard to beat.  Maria Sharapova also a big challenge.  And Jelana Jankovic is definitely hungry for her first Grand Slam win.  I think any of those five women could easily win this thing.  

Overall, I think it's going to be a nail-biting two weeks for me here!  The matches generally start around 6pm in my time zone and then finish off in the wee ours of the morning... sometimes even the next morning my time when I wake up and get the kids ready for school!  So I suppose not much sleep for me for the next fortnight.  But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

Also, we'll see how the weather holds up.  It is summer now in the UK so that bodes a little better for the sunshine/rain forecast.  The French Open got delayed a lot because of rain.  We'll see what happens this time 'round.  I would so love to see the matches get so far delayed that they have to extend into the third week of play!  That would e so interesting!  The Wimbledon that never ends :)

Well, I better get all my work done early today so I am free and clear to sit my vigil by the television starting in about three hours. 

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day