Cuppa
I love to sit and sip my morning coffee. It relaxes me. Even as the coffee slowly gets colder in the cup as time passes by, the gentle sipping brings me peace.
I've finished all my fiction books for the summer. Must get out and buy a couple more. I've moved on to reading Kevin's leadership and management books (currently finishing up "Leadership and Self Deception"). And hope to start Eugene Peterson's "The Jesus Way" today. I can't take too much 'heavy' reading right now, but in the process of rest and recovery, sitting and reading is very important to me. Again, it relaxes me, calms me, and brings me peace.
The house is quiet this morning as Kevin has taken the kids to a birthday party for two of their favorite friends. I usually do birthday party duty, but in my present condition, there's no way I could run after children in a pool or make small talk with parents. Kevin was going to go for haircuts, then get a present, and then head out to the party which is at an exclusive club on the 'other side of town'. I hope he was at least able to find a place that offers gift wrapping services for the present... or a gift bag to jam the thing into...
I got two baskets of flowers from friends/well-wishers over the last week. I love receiving flowers. I love looking at bouquets of flowers. I'm sad when they die. An added benefit of the two bouquets that I got this week, however, are the wicker baskets in which the flowers came. I love baskets! I love to put things in baskets and give them to people. I love to present food on my dinner table (or breakfast table!) in baskets. It just makes things look better.
I am calm this morning. Hoping the feeling lasts. I'm going to sort the children's toys in a little while. Maybe I'll try the game closet, too... have been staring at that closet for 3 weeks now. It must be cleaned and de-cluttered.
The power will be off soon. It's been off every day from 11.20a-2.40p (or slightly longer). The lack of electricity and lack of monsoon rains is making everyone grumpy. Myself definitely included. When we lived in Portland, people used to say that the constant raining and cloudy skies made people depressed. However, here, the rain brings joy, delight, comfort, and hope for a better summer next year. The lack of rain is bringing extra heat, frustration, fear, panic, and depression of what the future might bring. We're trying to think of ways to save money with the likely impending food, power and fuel crisis that is sure to emerge because the rains have been so severely delayed this year. Maybe it will rain later... (instead of June-September...maybe August-November) But one never knows and so we must prepare.
But in the meantime, I sit sipping my coffee, trying to relax and think calming thoughts. Trying to rein in my cluttered mind. Trying to let the emotional wave flow in, through, and out of me without any further damage.
Good morning, dear coffee cup. Hello!
~lk
Comments