Farewell

Dynasty, sport endWhat a profound photo... 

As I was growing up, this is what I wanted to do.  Play softball in the Olympics.  I probably could have done it, too.  A different choice here; a different choice there.  No big regrets, but a gold medal (or silver as this year's team earned) would have been delightful.

The life lessons I learned from my sports career certainly last longer than the sweetest victory (Softball Districts 1990) or the toughest defeat (Volleyball Pre-Districts 1989; Volleyball Nationals 1992)... I am thankful for the things that I learned along the way and the person I have become because of the hours of practice, the days filled with sore muscles, the moments of pressure packed athletic action, the heartbreaking decisions that ultimately sculpted my character.

Still.  A gold medal would have been nice.  And now the chance is gone. 

So I too leave my cleats around home plate and bid softball its Olympic farewell.  Perhaps someday they'll bring it back and I can live vicariously through Claire.  Perhaps.  Someday.

~lk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day