Pumpkin Predicament

Opening the freezer door had become a daily nightmare.

Oh, the dreaded frozen pureed pumpkin that lay staring at me, inviting me to use it.  Daring me to put it in something creative.  Day after day, night after night, my tortured soul longed to free the frozen goods from the company of last year's thanksgiving dessert ingredient.

Today, however, was the day.  I was determined more than ever to purge my freezer from the blocks of orange that cluttered its shelves, that dampened the mood of its inner being.

What can I make? What can I make? I asked myself repeatedly.  Martha!  Help me!  Rachael! Send me some 30-minute advice!  Pumpkin... pumpkin... pumpkin... oh what ever shall I do with it!?!?

And then, like a bright light shining from the heavens:  Pumpkin cheesecake squares.  Not only would I accomplish the goal of using the pumpkin, but I would also get the great blessing of removing the cream cheese from the dairy section of the fridge.   The de-cluttering of two hard-to-use items from my biggest and most favorite Samsung appliance?  Oh the great joy that flooded my entire day!

Into the pink Kitchenaid mixer went all the ingredients.  However, to my great dismay, I had  two tragic revelations.  First, I was only going to use half my pumpkin.  Oh good grief.  I would have to make something else.  But second, and of even greater concern, the pumpkin was too watered down after thawing and did not amalgamate properly with the cream cheese.  I wanted to *get rid* of the pumpkin... not *waste* it!

My creative Top Chef juices went to work in trying to problem solve this culinary predicament.  I reached for the over ripe bananas on the counter.  Into the mixer bowl I squished three of these sweet fruity fillers.  Then, after reaching into the fridge, I added 3/4 cup of plain yogurt.  Always a good staple to add to anything for an extra moist, extra rich result.

Finally pleased with the consistency of the batter, I poured this cream-colored, thick liquid onto the cookie crumb crust I had pressed in to the 9x13 pan.  More than an hour after subjecting the dessert to the flames of the oven, my creation emerged looking delicious.  I can't wait to cut it up into squares and savour its tangy goodness.

Success.  

Pumpkin gone.  Delicious dessert completed.  All is once again well with the world.

~lk

PS: How did I use the other half of the pumpkin you ask?  I made banana-pumpkin oatmeal muffins.  They're in the oven right now.  YUM.
PSS: My next challenge, (yes, that's right) will be figuring out how NOT to eat these things that I've just made!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day