Miss

I miss Daylight Savings Time.  Here in South Asia, time never changes.  Thus there is no 'excitement' related to 'springing forward' and 'falling back'.  I probably most miss the 'falling back' times.  The hours of daylight shift slightly in the winter, but not as dramatically as the sudden falling of darkness at 4.30p after the clocks are repositioned to their original times in the autumn.  

The kids have missed their winter clothes.  Therefore, I dug deep into the closet and extracted them from their storage bag this afternoon.  The kids have been begging me for months to unearth the hidden treasures they recall from last winter when we were in the US.  There was great excitement in seeing all the 'new' outfits they could wear which would also keep them warm in the early morning chill on their way to school.  The greatest delight for me, of course, is the purge of other clothing that had to be done in order to make room for the winter wardrobe.  Nearly a whole leaf-size garbage bag full of old clothes are going out the door.  Now that is what I call JOY.

I miss food.  Well, that's not entirely true.  I have had 15 'good days' in a row with regard to the Food Diary.  I'm thanking God for his extra help in this recently.  Keeping to my calorie count has been slightly easier... perhaps because I've had a life jam-packed with activity and away from the refrigerator over the last two weeks.  Whatever the case, however, I'm delighted to have recorded these positive experiences so consistently.  It's been amazing.  I am actually looking forward to my weigh-in on Thursday.  I will be terrified that I've not lost any weight... but I know I've not gained any, that's for sure!  At any rate, I've felt remarkably thin the last two weeks and have enjoyed that sense of accomplishment.

I have missed holiday cooking!  Therefore, I have started planning my Thanksgiving menu.  I really want to make homemade mushroom soup this year as our second course.  I want to have a course-by-course offering of the meal this year, hopefully extending the time it takes to eat the carefully crafted meal.  Mmmm.  I can't wait.  It's going to be amazing.

I miss sleep.  My level of exhaustion has only increased... not sure what I'm going to do....Yes, I need to sleep.  However, looming deadlines are ahead.  I am not 'busy' per se... let me reiterate: I am not busy!  But simply have a few projects whose deadlines are upon me (or past!) and I must get on them right away lest the domino effect produced by missed deadlines consume me.  My propensity toward responsibility does not allow me to just 'forget it' and go to sleep.  The work must be done... and *then* I can rest.   Oh please, oh please, oh please... let me finish the work so I can rest!  Meanwhile I fight the blurred vision, bad attitude and nausea that is the result of sleep deprivation.

My kids also miss sleep.  Although I'm not sure they know it.  They are just so tired. And have been that way for about a month.  This week will change.  I have good plans for them.  Plans which include a return to our routine... and as much sleep as possible.. two of the best medicines for any exhausted primary school student.  Things should be 'calm' 'til Thanksgiving... when great rejoicing will abound concerning the visit of Grandma Jan.  Only three full weeks 'til she comes... hooray!

I do NOT miss proofreading... but back at it I must go... Back to proofreading... hopefully to sleep soon.... Pray for sound, miraculously multiplied hours of sleep.

~lk



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day