In Reverse

I just returned from a fantastic two weeks in the US with my mom.  Although I was there to help support her during her surgery and lend a helping hand for a few days afterward, we also spent a lot of time 'playing' in the days before she went into the hospital.  

As generally happens when we return to America, 'reverse culture shock' sets in and plays tricks on my mind and awareness.  This trip was no exception.  During our times of shopping and eating and movie-going and, and, and... the 'reverse culture shock' manifested itself on this trip in unique ways.  Here are a few things that struck me as funny and interesting about American culture over the last fortnight.

1. You can't tell if the dishes are clean or dirty when you look in the dishwasher.  At my house, it is very clear whether or not the dishes in the sink are dirty or clean.  If they are dirty, they are caked with food or other greasy residue.  If they are clean, they are clean, shiny, in the drying rack, or in the cupboard.  However, on many occasion, I peered into my mom's dishwasher and couldn't tell if the contents were clean or dirty.  They had been rinsed to near perfection before being placed into the machine which was supposed to do that work in the first place.  Hmmm.  Interesting.  I think I want a dishwasher!

2. People go to work even when the weather says they should not go or should at least be very late.  This visit to the US occurred during the Arctic Christmas Blast of 2008 when winter weather blanketed nearly the entire nation.  It occurred to me that if this horrible weather had plagued my dear South Asia, that no one would even think of going to work or to school.  The weather would prevent them from venturing out.  However, my American friends risked life and limb to get in to work.  School children bundled themselves to the hilt and still waited on street corners for the school bus.  The malls were packed with people... and therefore shopkeepers... all of whom must've had a great deal of trouble reaching their destination.  This would not happen in South Asia.  Good? Bad?  No idea.   Definitely cultural differences going on there!

3. Christmas treats 'rum balls' are basically just alcoholic gulab jamun.  'Nuf said.

4. People get sick from food in America just about as often as people get sick from food in South Asia.  I was shocked to hear at least two major references to food poisoning or other such food-borne illness while I was in the US.  I expect to hear such tales from friends visiting my neck of the wood.  However, I was surprised at the apparently decreasing level of food safety even in the Global North. 

5. Clothes don't really get dirty in the US.  Now, yes, this is an over-generalization.  However, I was noticing how the clothes I wore during my time in the US did not get dirty.  They did not smell bad after 1-2 wearings.  They didn't get as wrinkly.  They simply didn't need to be washed.  At home, if I even try on a piece of clothing and decide not to wear it, I still have to wash it.  I suppose the lack of dust and sweat comes into play in this equation.  Plus, 'layering' prevents things like sweatshirts, sweaters and jackets from requiring laundering after each wearing. How delightful to do less laundry!

6. They still sell chia-pets!!  Can you believe it?!?!

7. Best Buy now has vending machines.  Yes, that's right... as I was meandering my way through the Minneapolis airport, I could have dropped in my credit card and bought an iPod or other piece of technology right there out of a machine on the spot.  I don't know how the iPod would have fared after being dropped from a height of 5-6 feet.  However, if I wanted to take the chance, I could spend to my heart's content.  Amazing.

I love America.  I had such a great trip.  However, I'm glad to be home in South Asia where my family and heart are.  And where chia-pets are nowhere to be found.

~lk

Comments

Connections said…
I especially liked #3! I'm glad you made it home safely. The Christmas pics on FB were great! The kids are getting to be so big and look like little Kevin & Leah's. Love you.
Trudy said…
Steve & I really enjoyed reading this just now. Steve's take on #2 (from his many Chinese experiences) is that Asians are more fatalistic and Americans see it as an obstacle to overcome--that nothing should get in the way of what you (the individual) want to do...who knows?

I think #5 is really funny and #7 would freak me out too!

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day