Epiphany
I love doing laundry. I don't know why. Perhaps because I am able to see the progress of my efforts. Perhaps because it makes me feel as if I'm doing something to bless my home despite my otherwise dreadfully incompetent homemaking skills. Perhaps because when I'm doing laundry or hanging laundry or folding laundry, I am not eating anything and am in fact probably a burning a few extra calories. Who knows. I'm odd. But you already know that.
Despite my love for doing laundry, it is still a 'chore'; it is still house 'work'. Despite my new focus on savoring the everyday, savoring the mundane, I still would rather be checking my Facebook page, drinking a leisurely cup of coffee, watching television, reading a book, cooking something or sleeping. Thus, I am generally looking for a way to do even my favorite laundry a little faster or a little more easily.
You can imagine my delight, then, when today I 'discovered' a new way to cut down the time it takes me to complete the process. I'm sure you all already do this, but for me it was a revolutionary moment of enlightenment that has taken me by storm. I don't know why I never thought of it before. (Be ready to laugh at me again and say, 'Duh!')
**Light Bulb Moment** As I'm taking the dry laundry down off the line, I can fold it immediately into my basket, instead of the previous method whereby I simply take it down off the line and throw it all in the basket and then fold it somewhere else. Whoa! I couldn't believe it. Why have I not been doing this all my laundry-doing life? My friend Barb does this laundering 'technique' but I always figured it was because she didn't want to take up space in my house or overstay her welcome, etc., when doing her laundry in my home (a time I enjoy, by the way...). However, she's not being polite... she's being practical! And efficient!
Unbelievable. Now I have yet another reason to love doing laundry. Another reason to savor the mundane tasks that I am privileged to do in my house. Another reason to bless my home in a slightly more efficient way. Tomorrow morning can't come fast enough! Laundry, laundry, here I come!
~lk
Comments