Not so much
Whoever says cauliflower puree tastes like mashed potatoes is lying. I'm sorry, but it's just not true. I made my inaugural batch of the supposed white fluffy 'goodness' tonight, ever so excited to join in with the culinary community's apparent obsession with the stuff. However, I was sorely disappointed in the result. Perhaps (!) had I used cream and butter instead of skim milk and lots of salt, it would have at least tasted better. However, if I'm going to use cream and butter, I promise you that I will eat mashed potatoes and not mashed-potato-substitute.
The consistency of the cauliflower puree was not like mashed potatoes. I know what mashed potatoes are supposed to taste like and feel like in my mouth. Cauliflower puree? Not even close.
I'm pretty sad about this actually, because I definitely wanted to join in the foodie fad regarding this particular dish that is sweeping across the USA. Everyone eats it and seems to love it. However, I sorrowfully regret to say that I will not be joining the ranks of the puree-eating-people.
The one up side to this monumental kitchen disappointment was that I got to use my pink Kitchenaid Food Processor. That makes even the worst jobs delightful. After I made the puree I also made a batch of fresh salsa. The salsa? It was delicious. The puree? Not so much. It's time to start demanding the truth from chefs and connoisseurs around the globe. Cauliflower Puree and Mashed Potatoes are exactly the same... if 'exactly the same' means 'completely different.'
~lk
Comments
You may be glad to know that not EVERYONE is eating it. I've never even heard of it. It sounds gross though.
I'm glad to hear that you subscribe to the view - if you're going to blow the diet do it all the way and deal with the guilt, or just ignore it lol. Mashed potatoes win all the way.
And if I ever have to eat cauliflower pureed it will be because I'm in the hospital or have my tonsils out or something like that. It's much better raw or steamed. What's this whole puree fad about anyway?
The cauliflower purist,
Kacy