Join Today

Beware: This is a completely silly and frivolous blog entry.  It has no eternal significance whatsoever.  I look at what others write and all the awards they win for their ‘amazing’ and ‘inspiring’ writing and I blush with chagrin at the ridiculousness of what I’m about to post.  However, I couldn’t resist.  This is real life people.  Savoring every small moment of it.  Let’s just call this a writing exercise.  Or perhaps an ‘every woman’s’ look at the world today.

Today’s Truth: Everyone loves the Club Sandwich.

Today as I was sitting in my 2nd favorite place in town to concentrate, work, and drink coffee, I was not so inconspicuously eavesdropping on two business people who sat down in the ’24-hour coffee shop’ at the table next to me.  As they discussed sleeping pills, work projects, and the comfort of the rooms in which they were residing, the waiter brought them some menus and they began discussing “What’s good here?” Since neither of the diners had indulged in anything other than room service food before meandering downstairs to the hotel restaurant, they had limited knowledge of what to order.

They perused the menu commenting on the toughness of the steak in the steak sandwich, as well as the mammoth amount of bread encompassing the so-called ‘meat’ contained therein.

They said, “Is there any Indian food on this menu?” Shocked and surprised that at first glance, local cuisine was mysteriously absent.  Until they turned the page and discovered, ‘Oh here it is.”

They looked at the Fish Curry, but declined when the waiter noted that there were indeed bones in the fish.  What? No boneless fillets mingled with the ginger, garlic, and garam masala??  Forget it.

And then I heard it.

“Oh, you know what’s good?  The Club Sandwich.”

I nearly chuckled out loud as I was reminded of how many times I have overheard that sentence in a variety of restaurants, coffee shops, and hotel rooms around this country.  Fearing the unknown, hungry travelers seem drawn to this hopefully familiar combination of bread, cheese, meat and the occasional tomato.

My question: How many people actually eat a club sandwich in America? I’m thinking not so many.  To me, a club sandwich is served at the no-longer-existing orange-roofed Howard Johnsons at the corner of 10 Mile and Evergreen Road in Southfield, Michigan.  The toasted white-bread exterior is pierced by a green plastic sword that beckons small children to rip it out and use it as a utensil to eat french fries one by one... and poke nearby unsuspecting siblings.  Sadly, not only is the restaurant no longer existing, but I fear the green-sword impaled club sandwiches may have gone by the wayside as well.

But not here.  Whether it’s the carbs + protein combination that draws people, or the familiarity of an era gone by, the beloved Club nourishes the jet lagged and the culture shocked masses that come through in search of comfort in the form of nutritional satisfaction.

All hail the mighty Club.  May it live on forever in the menus of the world.

“I’ll have the Club,” she said confidently.

“Veg or Non-Veg?”

Oh…. Comfort suddenly aborted.

~lk

Comments

Kris said…
Does the Chicken Club sandwich at Burger King count? I have that all the time but it's on a bun, not toasted white bread and no green plastic sword.

I think this can still be found at Denny's or Shari's but don't know who orders it.

I saw Nann at Whole Foods today. Almost bought some so I can convince Pat to make me Chicken 65.

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day