Whew!

It has been a crazy couple of weeks and starting tomorrow, I think things should be back to 'normal'.  Back to the gym, back to my coffee/work times at the bookstore, back to a relatively 'in control' email in-box.... hopefully less eating and some weight loss.  I am looking forward to resuming my precious routine.

I have a few things to report to you.  Of eternal consequence, I'm sure.

1. My new favorite font is 'Cambria'.  I did not even know this font existed until Kevin loaded my new version of Office 2008 for Mac and it was the default font for new documents in MSWord.  I love it despite its lack of fully professional look.  It seems to me to be a blend of professional and friendly.  We'll see how long my love for this font lasts.

2. It is summer here where I live and I officially have the "Marriott Bug".  That means that I want to go live at the nearby Marriott hotel.  I want to eat their food.  I want to swim in their pool.  I want to sit in their air-conditioned lobby... or better yet, just take up residence in one of their suites.  Alas, I cannot do those things.  So we're going to settle for sitting outside to eat our dinners from time to time to enjoy the summertime weather.  Drink ice tea.  Eat watermelon.  All those fantastic summertime traditions.

3. I am researching The Great Depression.  I am fascinated with the GEC (you know... the Global Economic Crisis) and something inside of me wants to be prepared if and when 'the worst' comes.  Therefore, suddenly I want to know everything about how the economic disasters in The Great Depression affected every day life.  I have so many questions...

4. In my preparation for 'the worst' I have made many decisions on how to spend less money.  Just like so many others, we're going to get rid of one of our land-based phone lines.  I'll probably be quitting the gym... (is that even possible?)  I'm buying less Diet Coke and drinking more Iced Tea.  We're even considering skipping pizza night two times a month.  I'm not sure what that will do to us (and by 'us' I mean 'me'), but I feel very concerned that we must spend only what is absolutely necessary.  I have a list of 26 ways I'm planning to cut back which will hopefully help us to be prepared if and when our income is drastically cut.

5. Since summer has come so suddenly (or at least when I was not paying attention), I am constantly dehydrated.  Must... increase... water... intake... 

All for now.  Hopefully more interesting writing later... Well, at least 'interesting' to me.

~lk

Comments

Lisa said…
I have been interested in lessons of the past, too. Here's a great link that helps give a glimpse into what it was like. Beware, these are some great videos to "procrastinate" your time away to. :)

Depression Cooking with: Clara
http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

Most importantly with all that is "going on" in this world,is to allow the peace of Him to rule in our hearts.

Love ya,
Lisa
Trisha said…
Leah,

I am fascinated with the Great Depression as well during these times. We recently watched Kit Kitchridge (sp?) with the girls and I think I enjoyed it more than they did, just because of the glimse it gave and the similarities I saw. Anyway, you're making me even more interested and maybe I'll check out some books from the library. Wow 26 things you're cutting back. That's great. Maybe I should be cutting back more. Hey speaking of finances Nate and I finally got rid of that credit card debt that haunted us our entire marriage. Yeah! It's a long story of God's grace that someday I'll tell you over chai.

Love,
Trisha

Popular posts from this blog

On Compassion

On Thanksgiving

Thoughts on Election Day